Coolwall - Klein

Coolwall - Klein

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Mantra was the coolest full sus I'd ever seen so I bought one - and it was really very nice AND cool. And the paint jobs are so good that must be cool.

Those two factors not however IMO sufficient to justify "cool" for Kleins in totality. So, no.

:shock: wow, missed this thread till now. where did all this animosity come from? i had a feeling that one of these cool votes would eventually blow up like this, but still!

all i'll add is Klein's aren't my cup of tea, but I can see why/how others gravitate to them. ;)

SF Klein":2iqc28y4 said:
mrkawasaki":2iqc28y4 said:
but unforgiveable use of elitist marketing was an innovation too far for mountain biking - the infantile divisions they wanted to create linger on, even today.

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that many, if not all of the Klein enthusiasts you know today are elitist and condescending to enthusiasts of other brands?

Illuminating interpretation that moves my points swiftly into rather paranoid personalisation about Klein owners... No - not what I was trying to convey at all... It's 'unforgiveable' marketing precisely for the sort of divisive interbrand 'pride'/rivalry that is still harboured/demonstrated. To me, that was a step too far for my perception of the whole mountainbike scene BiTD. I didn't want it to become a mainstream business/attractive to investors etc. But guess what - it did. Bring on the takeovers and acquisitions, let's serve up the homogenised corporate solutions...

I have thick skin so if you believe I'm guilty of acting like that, please let me know. Otherwise, for myself, there are many Klein owners that actively participate on this board and "elitism" isn't the first, second, or fiftieth word that would pop into my head if I were to describe them. I think "elitism" is being substituted with the more proper marketing term = "aspirational". The LAST thing any company wants to do is to alienate prospective customers so why would Klein seek to market itself as a "we're too good for you" type of company? To my eyes and understanding of their advertising messages, it was "aspirational". Sort of "you've arrived" type of message that doesn't mean that anyone else can't "arrive" with you and own a Klein.

Elitist - aspirational, whatever. Not cool in my book. Why should aspirational = most expensive? Why do I have to spend more to achieve that dubious social status? Good design and at a good price is the challenge - and if successfully done - very cool!

They made bikes at several price points to make sure they had something to offer people who were willing to spend a little or a lot on a bike.

They went on to make bikes at various price points for sure, after the period that I refer to here - but I don't recall mass marketing of those models - that was left to distributors/dealers if at all. That broadening of the range would be the period prior to takeover I shouldn't wonder - examples of that 'weakening' of the brand litter the motor industry too (and no doubt caused a litlle heartache to owners that paid top dollar to 'aspire' in the first place.

If you see otherwise, that's your opinion but I think you're missing their point. Maybe Europe's culture interprets that type of advertising differently than in the U.S.?

And for myself, I'll just say that all these "elitist" comments are really unfounded. "Fan boys"? I guess that's meant to be pejorative but I think it's fair to say that everyone on this board is a "fan boy" of sorts in some regard because it seems everyone has their brand/bike of preference, no? :D

'Fanboy' is/was a banterous/humerous jibe thrown around here and, as this thread has gone all bitter and twisted, I'll reiterate the humour/levity I was trying to leave on the thread...! They're only bikes....

Wrapping up: Klein bikes = uber cool Klein owners = the worst people on earth. That still makes the bikes cool. :cool: :p :D

On the upside - a peak period aspirational Klein picked up on the cheap today is probably 'cool' and, all Mountain Kleins were always 'cool' in my book... :D

On a seperate issue, who did the oversize aluminium first - Cunningham, Cannondale or Klein?

Mr K

RockiMtn":syxnou5n said:
:shock: wow, missed this thread till now. where did all this animosity come from? i had a feeling that one of these cool votes would eventually blow up like this, but still!

all i'll add is Klein's aren't my cup of tea, but I can see why/how others gravitate to them. ;)

Animosity?

This is a forum,and as such debates of this kind spring up from time to time. Non of the responses regarding Klein have been over the top, just a gentle dig from one adult with an unhealthy attraction too old bicycles to another!! ;)

What goes around comes around!!

al. :D

On a seperate issue, who did the oversize aluminium first - Cunningham, Cannondale or Klein?

Klein were the 1st to come with the welded burly tube al frame, even years before the 1st serious mountainbikes saw light. Cunningham is the 1st to come with an aluminium mountainbike, pretty much at the moment 'the mountainbike' made its appearance. Personally I would view Klein as an aluminium pioneer. I would view Cunningham as a mountainbike pioneer in the 1st place, plus an al pioneer. Cunningham's contribution is so much wider than aluminium.

So, in years, when did the first Mountain Klein arrive, the first recogniseable alu Cunningham and then Cannondale's offering?

Geometr-wise, I guess Cunningham leads the way here?

Mr K

Latest posts

Back