WTD: New bike projects: IBIS Bow-ti

I kinda agree with Tom on this, understand the rarity appeal, but I dont really love the "lines" of the bow ti. having ridden both a bow ti & a spesky ultimate they're at totally different ends of the riding spectrum (depending on what you want!) ultimate is out of the saddle, big ring not a hint of flex, bow ti was the opposite... probs just not suiting me as I'm a big gear masher aggro kinda rider.. if you're totally smooth, bow ti would probs feel lush :)
ultimate asking price is around 2000E b.t.w

I like the look of them. I also think the pivotless bit with that amount of travel is very interesting/clever/cool. :cool:

Slightly sketchy review in BIKE mag

I realsie that functionality doesn't always come top of the list in the rarity retro world, but I recall a fairly unfavourable review of this in BIKE mag...something about not really holding lines very well at all.

Dig out an old MTB World there were lots of pic's in there awards issue of circa 1997/6 or something?

Potts is certainly up there with the tops; but isn't Castanello just the brains behind the Sweet Spot URT designs? which were a little bit poor?

WTB put out there own Full Susser called the Bon Tempe, which had input from Castanello, maybe that's were this fabrication idea has arisen from?

I dont really intend to beat the living sh*t out of this frame if I get one. Im sure it has its weaknessess and bad points. Its just such an interesting concept.

As I mentioned it is incredible clever how it does work and seing one in the flesh really was quite astounding. The Ti flexes "that much" around that main cross beam. Amazing stuff.

Still after one :(

All I can really say on the matter is "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

They really are a love/hate thing, they aren't the most efficient 4/5" travel FS frame and the first time you ride one its a little "odd" but once you learn to ride with the frame rather than against it they come into their own.

When I first got mine Adrain Carter from Pace said to me, "what the hell have you got that for, I only rode one once and it was like having two wheel steering" ~ never a true word has been spoken, you just learn to work with it and the thing just rails round corners.

They are so compliant, there is no linkage issues so they take out even the smallest trail bumps and the bearings never wear out :)

I guess this is maybe not what Jez wants to hear but don't ever judge a bike till you have ridden it more than once

I allways wanted one and have held several new frames in my hands but.....didnt buy....why??? I dont know. Do I wish I had?......Yes! What was I thinking. If I had bought it then...I would be Mr Smug right now.

One question......do they........stink bug?

Signed proud owner of a YBB-SL.

(Its like Jez brings back these blurry hazzy periods of my life)

Good & Bad news.

Ive been negotitating wth the chap on ebay. He is willing to sell his Bow Ti for a good offer.

Hwever a good offer needs to be about £1500 just for the frame.

I think he will be keeping that for a while...

:roll:

Back