1991 Giant Track

Sjors

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
Today I refurbished my old Giant. Not to original specs, but I'm very happy to 'downgrade' to '89 New Deore thumbies (from my Koga Terrarunner, which is in singlespeed mode now), as replacements for those bulky 7 speed STI's.

I got the bike for my 11th birthday (with the saddle in the very lowest position;)) and since then I used it for cross country, downhill (in the early days) and to go to school. It was my companion on my first bikeholidays in the Lowlands and to Italy and finally I used it as a commuter. This frame seems indestructable to me. It has all the eyelets to fit racks, fenders and even a generator.

It needed some serious maintenance and now it's ready to hit the trails again. I like to ride this bike a lot! But that's of course because I own it for almost twenty years... On the trails in the coutryside around Breda it's still a great bike.

There's only one thing I have to do and that's replacing the tyres. Now I run old Michelin Wildgrippers (47mm) but they're worn out.

I would like to go to as wide tyres as possible, but the rear triangle shows its limitations. Has anyone suggestions for a nice xc tyre for this bike? Would a 2,1" Racing Ralph fit?

I ran Tioga Psycho's (1,95") in the old days, would be nice to find a nos pair of them...

Cheers,
Sjors

In my first post on this forum I wasn't allowed to publish a weblink.

Second attempt:

DSC01390.JPG

You had that when you were Eleven?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That looks waaay too big for me even now I'm all growed up! :LOL:

Nice looking bike though, even if I'd need stilts to ride it...

Nice old school Giant. Looks quite original too.

You should be able to find some psychos pretty easily - I'd go for these.

Back