Ideal bike and set up for Paris-Roubaix

http://www.tearsforgears.com/2010/04/2- ... ubaix.html
DSC_6052.JPG

or maybe a bit off full-sus...
http://www.tearsforgears.com/2010/01/fu ... ubaix.html
vlcsnap-2010-01-08-11h47m56s208.png

I suppose it depends if it's wet or dry.
Dry you could get away with (as seen last Sunday) 24/27mm tubs and a double wrap of bar tape. Carbon rims are do-able as wet braking isn't an issue, and they're strong.

If it's wet then you're into cyclocross territory as mud clearance becomes an issue. Rabobank (I think) used modified cross bikes a few years ago. Close-clearance caliper brakes start to go out of the window in favour of cantilevers.
Plain, boring alloy box-section rims would be the only realistic option as the braking is more consistent, plus they'd be more forgiving on the cobbles when running lower tub pressures.

As well as dog fangs on the seat tube I've seen a few of the bikes with mechanic-made bits of metal attached to the front mech to keep the chain on the chainrings.

Only my observations, of course - I've never ridden Paris-Roubaix :D

Ridden it a few times - your hands/wrists and backside take the biggest pounding so definitely double bar tape or gel inserts plus the plushest saddle and most comfy shorts (or two pairs!). Fit the fattest tyres you can, but ensure you've a couple of mm clearance or you'll grind to a halt - the dust is very fine and sticky and collects under the calipers. Minimum of 25mm tyres and run them at the lowest pressure you can ride without pinching - typically 5 bar. First few sector you'll think your bike is gonna break, but actually after a while you'll realise that you are the weakest link. Get some decent bottle cages like Tacx Tao not some lightweight bottle launcher. Drop your saddle down and back on the rails - slam it into the biggest gear you can turn and ride as hard as you can until you reach the end of the sector. Refuel loads at Raismes - before Arenberg - and keep both bottles topped-up in case you lose one.

Back