93 Rocky Mountan Hammer

taffy

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
This has been underway for a while and is nearly complete.

Originally it was going to have period suspension forks but i found a par of original RM forks so it went back to BITD spec (nearly!)

Almost all original and period bar a XT short cage derailleur and XT thumbies.

93RMHammer002.jpg

The frame is in excellent nick whit almost all the decals intact as is the paint.

As tempted as i was to give it a complete overhaul and respray I settled (for now) with a thorough clean rebuild and refinish.
93RMHammer005.jpg

93RMHammer006.jpg

(cassette still needs another clean and i'l be getting a new sharkfin as well)

93RMHammer007.jpg

93RMHammer008.jpg

93RMHammer009.jpg

Concessions to modernity. (bar silly things like chain, brake pad's etc)
DDG seat post - the original kalloy one fitted me fine but at max extension it had precious little left in the frame for my liking.

Riser bars -just what i had to finish the job, surprisingly they do give it a more relaxed swoopey feel but still keep it responsive and nimble.

Still to do.
A more period pair of tyres and some more suitable grips.
And i still need a 92/93 DX crankbolt cap and a QR nut for the front wheel.

Unfortunately one of the cats decided it was her bike now

93RMHammer003.jpg

Conchita say "ess my bike now daddy - you walk's..."

I don't really like to tell you this (in view of perfection having been reached in 1993), but I think that is a 1991 frame.

Rocky used wishbone seatstays from 1990-92, so it can't be a 93. It also can't be a 1990, as the 1990 Hammer had the seatstay joining the seat tube at the height of the top tube. Differentiating between 1991 and 92, I think the crucial thing is the head tube-mounted cable stops which they used in 1991. Also I'm pretty sure they only had the seat tube pulley to permit the use of down-pull fms in 91. But on the other hand, that is the 1992 colour!

It was made of Ritchey Logic both years, so that doesn't help to date it. I would say it is most likely a late 91 model, and they had already gone over to the 92 colour scheme by that time. I don't think they stuck to model years all that rigidly back then. Everything was built in their own factory, and I guess things just evolved.

I like the way you have built it up, it looks just right.

tintin40":16frx3y4 said:
Lovely cat :D nice frame
I knew she'd ruin it all!

She's Conchita Queso - and the missus is reminding :roll: me she's only a 9 month old a Norwegian Forrest cat uhh kitten :!:

Hmm strange on the dating as it was originally purchased "new" in 1993 by an uncle.

It does indeed have the top pull routing with a roller and bottom pull front mech.

Strange but i'll happily be corrected (i never saw any other RM's back home in the 90's to compare it too)

May well have been new.
But 1993 they where all renewed to 'fastback stays'

and well er it just is a 1991 ;)

Too slow to read what Anthony will have written but he'll have been correct.
Head tube mounted cable guide (biggest give away), Ritchey tubing, roller wheel, etc at a guess.

Anthony":2qjs82u5 said:
I like the way you have built it up, it looks just right.

Ta ;)
I wanted original but usable.
i'll be honest in that the frame is a tad too small for me being a 17" when i normally ride an 18" (or a 19" depending ) and the riser bar's make it more so comfy and relaxed.

However the ride is still frankly inspiring so I'll survive not being stretched out nose down, bum in the air!

Back