Old school hardcore

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This is something I've been mulling over for a while, should probably apologise to our colleagues on mtbr vrc in advance ;)

If one takes the 'cut off' for retro as being mid 90s it would be quite possible to build a quite interesting trail/hardcore/whatever bike out of period parts. Thinking along the lines of the following

GT Zaskar
Judy DHOs
Rock Shox cable discs / Maguras
Syncros cranks and other finishing parts
Disk Drive
Z-Max 2.35

You get the picture...

Sacrilege ? Probably.

Anybody done anything similar?

yeah, 'cause I want to go freeriding with a disc drive. I've got a couple laying around to throw on the fire every time it gets cold here. ;)

ameybrook":36y6pn3c said:
yeah, 'cause I want to go freeriding with a disc drive. I've got a couple laying around to throw on the fire every time it gets cold here. ;)

That'd be great.

They get a bad rep discs but they aren't so bad.

Actualy quite a lot of my bikes back then and nowadays still are made with this in mind. Weight has never been an issue. I tend to leave suspension out, but if a suspension fork is already there I deal with it. Like AmeyBrook says Disc wheels doesn't sound as a good idea. Burly steel, m730, rigid is an good idea. Zaskars are not steel, but they are proper, relatively durable frames. Decent basis for a hard core build.

Most obvious example in my stable is the Grove Hard Core. The Panasonic definately also qualifies and several steel Kogas do too. Some non steel Kogas do also, as they are heavily overbuilt. My Yo Eddy is to some extend a HC bike. The frame can stand a lot abuse, but do the Judys, Zooka and Kookas? :roll:

Some other HC bikes I can think of (not in my stable):
Yeti FRO
Extreme Punisher
Paletou

I think the Judy can take quite a hit. But not bomb proof I think. I have never damaged one.
And you need... a Flite!

My boss has a Zooka stem with a crack, and the crack is getting bigger. He just says, "Yes I have to replace it."

Judys: Besides their not being bombproof, they steer like a wet noodle. I hope DHOs are way better :) Never tried them.

Zooka front caps are notorious for breaking. Especially older ones.

John":2slvns94 said:
If one takes the 'cut off' for retro as being mid 90s it would be quite possible to build a quite interesting trail/hardcore/whatever bike out of period parts.

When is mid 90s? If it stretched to late 96 I'd ditch all those RS forks (which are rubbish) and put one of the original Marzocchi Bombers on the front. If not then a 95-96 Marzocchi DH3 is still a far better choice in my opinion.

Lesser steel Kona frames also make a good basis and can handle quite a bit of abuse.

John":1flsq2ed said:
This is something I've been mulling over for a while, should probably apologise to our colleagues on mtbr vrc in advance ;)

Apology accepted. ;)

Actually, there was a time not too long ago when I built my bikes with a vintage frame and 'modern' parts or parts in the spirit of old school...

slingyeti.jpg

My xc bike ended up looking like this before I bought one of the first DMR trailstar frames.
http://images.fotopic.net/y4y0fc.jpg
Nice big tyres, 121 rims, Judy DH fork, riser bars, flat pedals, a big rock ring and good old m900 cranks. Surprised I didn't rip the headtube off looking at it now. Stem was replaced shortly after with a shorter syncros one as the I beam snapped.

That pretty much the evolution that my Zas followed for a while. It was run with HS33s, RS Psylos (120mm), Syncros risers and stem and so on. I used it for playing about on ramps and rocks etc and it can certainly hold its own. These days its back to good old rigid XC spec though.

The more 'hardcore' kit is still in the garage waiting to be put on the Orange X1 which I'm planning to build up into a 'retro' FS freeride/north shore rig but I'm struggling to find some decent 1" forks.

Zaskars are not steel, but they are proper, relatively durable frames

Praise indeed! Obviously I'm biased but in my experience, the Zas is bombproof. You'll find very few people who don't hold them in high regard (design differences aside :)).

Back