belt drive

al

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
hi to you all. Im new here but not to this obsession, been in the game man and boy! single speeds have been my bag for sometime. got a stuffed back now so dont turn the middleburns anymore. but the big question is anyone tried building a belt drive ss. if so talk to me. i would love to have a go,. just for fun. Cant be too complicated to adapt excisting belt drive machinary! just imagine how smooth and quiet your next secret sunday morning singletrack hack would be. anyway what do you ss nutters think? cheers people, Al, at home with his feet up!!!

There was an article in a mag not long ago, think there is a system which kind of works. Problem being need an estay or split the chainstay, which is not so easy

if you can split a chain you can split a belt! what about an s and s coupling type set up on a stay. any engineers out there? Al

Product Design student here,

"The principles disadvantages of belt drives are their limited power transmission capacity and limited speed ratio capability. Belt drives are less compact than either gear or chain drives and are susceptible to changes in environmental conditions, such as contamination with lubracants. In addition, vibration and shock loading can damage belts."

Reference
Childs P.R.N. (2004) Mechanical Design, Capture 8, p154-176. Oxford, Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.

The capture goes onto say there is a speed limit where the belt will be thrown off the pulley due to centrifugal forces and chains have an efficiency of 99.8%, compared to a max of 98% for only a flat or synchronous belts, much lower for other belt types.

IMO like shaft drive, useable for non-competitive slower leisure riding/commuting, but not good for hard riding, especially ss.

I was in Japan in 1991 or thereabouts and loads of the bikes people rode around the streets on had this rubber belt shown in the link above, complete with 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear. They rode fine around town, but I didn't see any mountain bikes.

This combined with a Rohloff, on a Yeti Ultimate perhaps?

thanks for the feedback, i didnt know any of this, i have been away too long. if anyone has info on the jericho i would like to see it. as for giving the bike some beans on the trails thats not the idea for me. just something to look kool and ride fair, to get me to the cake shop would be nice. cheers! Al, geting bigger by the day!

Back