Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

If its a torus then its welded and not bonded,so shot preening wouldnt or shouldnt rather be a problem.
i mean this as in i think shot blasting it too harsh,not like its made from 6mm steel,ti tubes are quite thin.
I favour and would recommend using a paint stripper.

Your forks-Are they the triple clamp ones or the type with the really nice single crown?

Also could someone, anyone point me in the right direction to bodyshops etc who would respray/ anodise/powder coat the frame. As this is my first frame respray and I dont know where to turn :Embarrassed

Yellow pages ;)

Re: Torus XT Dynatech, Respray and Information

passiflora":2hxhxwxo said:
Hi Ive purchased a Torus XT from retrobike. Pictures on on the reader's bikes under my Dynatech. I wondered if anyone could provide more information regarding the bike.

Also I have the original handlebars and Trimmel Forks.

Finally it will soon be time for a re-spray, Im thinking of either getting the paint stripped and the frame polished. Or Respraying in Kona gold. Would there be a problem getting the frame sand blasted due to the bonded tubes?.

Also could someone, anyone point me in the right direction to bodyshops etc who would respray/ anodise/powder coat the frame. As this is my first frame respray and I dont know where to turn :oops:

Many thanks

Would love to see it but cant find the pic, can you post another one on this thread? :D

baj":2vmjnlda said:
the build is on its way too...

due to financial dire straits i have had to change my plans, unfortunately the result is i have to leave the Dynatech owners club by putting my very tidy MT4 up for sale...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

the Reynolds 653 forks (not the P2s pictured) are the closest thing i could find to the mangmoly dynamax items..

cheers and keep up the excellent thread, its great reading!

Some pictures of the Torus for Ogre

Hi all hers my picture's Ive no idea what year this is, would anyone know?.

Firstly the partly dismantled Trimnell forks. Ive just started to strip these tonight, I only have one stem @ the moment. And one alloy top cap so the fork is incomplete, the bearings look in good condition.

& the 18 inch Torus XT. The plan is to strip the frame back to bare Titanium. Polish a little bit and put some new decals on. There is one really really tiny dent which will almost polish out.

Components are going to take some time, to get right as my money is spent, but there is no rush. Im going for a road set up eventually as I read some articals that Trimnell forks can be pretty lethal Off road hence the reason most of them are broken. I have various campag stuff from a road bike so will probably use that but we will see.

Attachments

• Trimnell.JPG
    Trimnell.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,787
  • Torus Dynatech compressed.JPG
    Torus Dynatech compressed.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,787
The frame is from 1994 as the torus replaced the OGRE XT from the previous year. I wouldnt worry too much about using the forks on the road, but wouldnt recomend off road use due to the forks reputation and their age! The frame looks very tidy and ive only ever seen one TORUS, that was at a MTB race in Dublin back in 1994. good luck with the project.

D nelson":3mazjnv7 said:
The frame is from 1994 as the torus replaced the OGRE XT from the previous year. I wouldnt worry too much about using the forks on the road, but wouldnt recomend off road use due to the forks reputation and their age! The frame looks very tidy and ive only ever seen one TORUS, that was at a MTB race in Dublin back in 1994. good luck with the project.

I'd be interested in knowing what "reputation" is being refered to regarding the forks. Please enlighten me. :?

Matty 2 Fatty":200pncn2 said:
Hi all, I also manged to pick one of these (as did HarryCrumb on page 5 of this thred) for £20 off a nice lady that was selling it for her son. Its a Raleigh USA but i cant seem to find any more info about it can anyone shed some light on the matter. Thanks

That I believe is the Technium Chill 1991 model frame, was sold with Deore DX Groupset. My mate had one BITD looked to be beutifully made.
Seem to remember it was a bonded aluminium main triangle with Cr-mo seat and chainstays and a forerunner to the UK Dynatechs.

Carl.

drcarlos":xrpiiyld said:
Matty 2 Fatty":xrpiiyld said:
Hi all, I also manged to pick one of these (as did HarryCrumb on page 5 of this thred) for £20 off a nice lady that was selling it for her son. Its a Raleigh USA but i cant seem to find any more info about it can anyone shed some light on the matter. Thanks

That I believe is the Technium Chill 1991 model frame, was sold with Deore DX Groupset. My mate had one BITD looked to be beutifully made.
Seem to remember it was a bonded aluminium main triangle with Cr-mo seat and chainstays and a forerunner to the UK Dynatechs.

Carl.

Hello Carl,

you are right without the manufakturing year, because in 1991 the designe was thesame like 1992. the only difference was the colour. In 1991 the maincolour was turquoise, in 1992 it was silver. The frame is from 1989 or 1990.
This one is the 1992 chill
code]

Re: My Dynatech 2070

drifting james":1e1t42tr said:
A picture of my 2070 - still not completed as I would like :?

Hey DJ,

Great to see the old Dyna.

I always loved that colour... looks incredible in the sunlight doesn't it.

I kinda regret selling, was my first Dyna and those lugs on the early ones look fantastic.

Enjoy,

Chaser.

mission

Afraid I have been reticent of late checking in here guys, but I'm so glad to see the thread developing and expanding.
My Dynatech Mission is the first brand new bike I ever bought back in early '91.
Loved it then, love it even more now.
I been working (and spending some cash and more) on a GT LTS DH from '97, added hope disc front, full BETD bearings and still looking (and spending) etc, and all this long while I've done nowt to the Mission save replace a rear mech and the odd chain.
But the thought came to me today, if I had to choose between them which would it be?
You would maybe think that would be a hard choice?
Naahhhhh!
On the Mission I dont just get a buzz 10% of the time like on the LTS, every minute I'm out on it is special.
Well named Raleigh Special Division (RIP).

Btw, am I the ONLY ONLY one on retrobike with a Mission?

Back