Kona Cinder Cone frame compered to other Kona frames...

kaos

Retro Guru
A friend of mine has a Cinder Cone from the mid 90's. This bike had altus and acera comopents and some realy cheap wheels when he bought it. The owner sad the bike was original, how can that be? I thought this bike as new had p2 fork, velocity stem, stx/lx and so on....?

Is this a good frame, how is it compered to the kula and explosif steel frames?
I wonder if its worth repainting it and build it up with some descent parts...

I couldn't find any good pictures of the frame, but the colour is some kind of mix between blue and grey.

sounds like a 92,it had old style lx on it,and some dia compe levers,dx thumbshifters.not acera,that stuff wasnt even out yet.

Correct me if I’m wrong you Kona mad kings but

We have in ‘92

Kona Fire Mountain 2 down from Cindercone with Shimano 300-500LX group

Kona Lava Dome with 500 and DX group

Kona Cindercone with Suntour XC

Kona Kilauea with DX

Think the colour was black

I think acera came in 96 or 97 so if it's an earlier frame it won't be original anyway it's too low a spec to be original

deore 2":24747wxi said:
sounds like a 92,it had old style lx on it,and some dia compe levers,dx thumbshifters.not acera,that stuff wasnt even out yet.

It cant be a 92 model. It has this curve cable hanger thing on the "seatpost tube". And it also has 1-1/8 headtube.

Sounds like the '93 model to me, it would have had grey velocity stem and P2 forks. This is a good steel frame yes, what you describe would never have been the original spec.

development_cycle":3itpnfjr said:
Sounds like the '93 model to me, it would have had grey velocity stem and P2 forks. This is a good steel frame yes, what you describe would never have been the original spec.

I think it was altus gears, no name stem/bars and canti brakes. A realy heavy and ugly polished fork with lx headset!!?? Everything but the frame is CRAP!

Given the odd componentry are you sure that;

a) it's real and not a "sticker upgrade"

b) not nicked, stripped and rebuilt

Just a thought...

Latest posts

Back