Peugeot Tourer identity unknown ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Quick bit of head scratching for you.

I have just today been presented with a Peugeot Tourer for nowt as its owner has upgraded to a new Kona Jake via the 'Bike to Work' scheme.

The tourer's name decal is gone and the former owner got it second hand so does not know its model name.

Here is a brief description, no photos yet :

Reynolds 501 frameset, burgundy paintscheme with chromed forks, black plastic coated canti brakes, Simplex Foret rear mech, Sachs-Huret front mech, Stronglight (I presume) triple chainset, maillard hubs, black heavey gauge wire rack, easy clearance for 38mm wide tyres and guards, paintscheme has chequer board appearance around peugeot name on down tube and down tube shifters are braze on, 3 bottle mounts and a pump mount under the top tube plus skinny seat pillar.

I initially thought it was a Savoie based on colour scheme until I saw the 501 sticker. All in all a nice tough tourer that I hope to get a few miles in on once I've altered the spec to suit me a wee bit better.

Any ideas what model and age it is ;)

big pic alert:

scan0030.jpg

Yes I was really hoping it was a Savoie, looks just like one unfortunately the 501 tubing says its not :roll: I used to own a Mk I Dawes Galaxy from the 70's when tourers were still lightweight saddlebag carrying affairs. It was really nice, lightweight full Reynolds 531 with ornate lugs and chrome forks. 90's onwards Galaxy's are just not right :(

Plus for the Peugeot is it cost nowt and I've always had a soft spot for the brand :D

Further research indicates between 1984 and 1988 so from same time period as a Savoie in fact I'd say 1988 as the frame and colour scheme plus much of the equipment is almost the same as the Savoie pictured but what is it as the 1988 catalogue shows no Savoie similar Reynolds 501 framed tourer :?

Thanks James27, I think your right, it must be a Normandie from say 88 as its colourscheme is the same as a Savoie from 88 and some of the components have been slightly changed :D

There may not be as many roadies on Retrobike as MTB'ers but who we have know there stuff ;)

Back