Newbie here ... hi and meet the ride, '93 Stumpjumper M2 FS

So, now I've decided to keep it threaded, can anyone recommend a headset of suitable vintage ('93-'98 )? Maybe even red anodised?

I'm also thinking about a red seatpost - any recommendation? (Again of suitable vintage)

BTW, just found the old bottle cages and some red alloy bolts in the garage, plus the two grey Pro Control tyres and an almost unused black 1.8 Storm Control - this retrobiking could prove addictive! :D

Cheers,
Chris

Well if you're going for a new headset and other than a King headset maybe hard to find a threaded red one. Then a new steerer you can get one may be worth it. You'll need a new stem as well but the control tech will sell pretty easily.

Measure you head tube length (just the tube on the bike and add ~70mm to it to get the length steerer tube you need for a threadless stem)

You may well be able to sell your current steerer to help fund it.

Keep digging in the old boxes, its good fun :D

cproyston":anqxdqsl said:
So, now I've decided to keep it threaded, can anyone recommend a headset of suitable vintage ('93-'98 )? Maybe even red anodised?

I'm also thinking about a red seatpost - any recommendation? (Again of suitable vintage)

BTW, just found the old bottle cages and some red alloy bolts in the garage, plus the two grey Pro Control tyres and an almost unused black 1.8 Storm Control - this retrobiking could prove addictive! :D

Cheers,
Chris

Welcome..I too found that the first sign of madness is returning your old ride to original spec :LOL:

It looks like the headset options are covered but I would go for a red USE post to keep the british part thing going, or maybe a Ringle Moby if you're not into shimmed posts. Be prepared to do battle though on the for sale forum ;)

OK, so the paint's a bit tatty in places and I'm considering a respray - can anyone recommend anyone? and what about decals, are these available anywhere?

[please excuse my newbie lack of knowledge]

Cheers,
Chris

Update! Old school race pics found!!!

Dug out some pics of the old girl on race day(s), 2 from '93 and one from the Fleet carnival race in '94.

In the the two older pics I still have the stock Deore LX shifters/cranks and Deore LX/Specialized X23 wheels.

By '94 I'd switched to Gripshifts/MX-88 levers and had splashed out on the Middleburn cranks,

Anyway, thought you might enjoy,

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• CR_mtb_racing_93_1.jpg
    CR_mtb_racing_93_1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 854
  • CR_mtb_racing_93_2.jpg
    CR_mtb_racing_93_2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 854
  • CR_mtb_racing_94.jpg
    CR_mtb_racing_94.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 854
Shimano M110's, my fave shoes! :LOL:

I've only just binned mine last year, lasted me since 94! :cool:

Update - new tyres and new garage finds ... 1/2

Here's some new pics - splashed out on some new tyres (OK, not retro, but I like them).

Dug out the Specialized bottle cages and their Ti screws (got red ano'd ones somewhere too ...), and found a red seat clamp QR ... all ready for a trial run over Thetford sometime soon ... anywhos, enjoy!

And as for the M110s - threw them out a few years back :cry:

But still got a pair of purple/pink Axo missions in great nick somewhere ...

Chris

Attachments

• S7002447a.jpg
    S7002447a.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 799
  • S7002448a.jpg
    S7002448a.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 799
  • S7002451a.jpg
    S7002451a.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 799
  • S7002446a.jpg