HoNC - aftermath glow

malvernman":yv8nw99d said:
Yep, I always blag on about my luck :) and was that you who did that massive splash in the ford? Well impressive, hope the photographer got it.

Got to hand it you chap, absolute quality for riding the skip bike and for the way it got ridden, not to mention the epic 1 handed riding and filming, you must have a neck like an owl :LOL:

I did go through the ford, not sure if it was impressive but had to be done, Im looking forward to seeing your choice of steed at MM10 :D

That Stumpy is truly easy to ride, I was no handed some of the time on the road and not twitching about, on that gnarly bit up around Cleeve it was easy to handle [ hence the one handed videoing ] .. I am also pretty strong at the moment due to riding the track at Newport over the winter, lots of leg power from that.

I got some pictures going up Asterton Bank [ Kidderminster Killer audax ] on Long Myndd a few years ago, granny gear all the way and mostly 1-4 for a mile, I was called all sorts of names by those that had started walking, roadies hey :LOL:

I am thinking of using the Specialized as my main mountain bike and selling the Magura no matter how light and posh it is.. I am never going to win anything anyway, so might as well enjoy something that feels right even if it isn't as quick.

That ford slash was pretty impressive :D

Ededwards only got away as I had a camera in my hand and couldn't change up a gear to sprint after him.... I demand a rematch :D

John":2lpinu65 said:
Anyone see oneeyedjim after the cake stop? Have to say I was a bit concerned to see the inch of exposed steerer tube above his stem....
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 86&start=6

;)

The trick is not to fall off.

It's been like that for about five years: I want to be sure I've got the bar height right before I commit.

Yeah, I know.

A beautiful spring day, and a lovely crowd of people.

I wasn't feeling strong on the first half and cut the corner from Guitinghill Fm to Kinetonhill Fm to rejoin the 50km route before the cakestop. Then I managed to sleepwalk my way out onto the 100km route again - and was glad I did. Ended up doing about 80-85km and getting back to Winchcombe around 16:30 I think, give or take. I didn't bother to get my card stamped.

With a 12-24 7-speed cassette I had all the gears I could use, but maybe the Conti XC mud tyres at 70psi weren't the best choice for the conditions. No punctures though, no mechanicals aside from a recalcitrant front mech and a little chain suck, and the only physical problem of note was a nasty cramp in my shifting thumb.

jonnyboy666":2lpinu65 said:
yeah i got the taste of cow piss i think.
It was more likely sheep or horse piss on the north side of Cleeve...

ededwards":2lpinu65 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8QboLapiso

Legendary performance by oneeyedjim with his heady mix of exposed steerer, faded courier bag and jungle shorts.
Bloody hell, does my bum look big in those? It's a good thing I left the pith helmet at home.

One little highlight for me, among many, was shouting "shift, you little bastard" at my front mech and the chap ahead of me on the climb getting off to let me through...

:LOL:

Biggest disappointment - where was the beer tent? :shock:

Clips and straps next year, I reckon.

Was great to meet you One Eyed Jim, which part of the route was it you messed up on? I went wrong at one point missing a sign by a farm and continuing downhill for about a mile until I hit a main road, I was cursing all the way back up the hill!

Bought some pics (these are the midium resolution ones), forced myself out the saddle on Cleeve Hill when I spotted the photographers. If you could see the drive side I'm certain it would be granny ring too :D :

20100411AF5147EM.jpg

20100411AF5144EM.jpg

20100411AX0788EM.jpg

No poncing around with the bridge either:

20100411AX3430EM.jpg

sinnett177":2bnfpge2 said:
which part of the route was it you messed up on?
I turned right out of the cake stop when I should've gone left!

Apart from that I managed to miss an arrow and wander up the flank of Cleeve Hill to the road along the ridge that leads to the masts. I stopped for a bite of Kendal Mint Cake and a breather at the Prestbury Hill Butterfly Reserve (!) then retraced my route.

I was thinking about trying it again this Sunday, anticlockwise this time. Anyone fancy coming along?

daj... no access to pics... :(

sinnett, was that one pic on the road when we were behind the Subaru going up the hill? He had a bit of patience :) You look well grim and working hard in all of them, is that the hard man face you reserve for event photographers? ;)

Back