The UK built frame of mystery returns

Most bikes of that era look pretty similar, really. Not sure about the Overbury's thing - I've never seen a lugged one.

MikeD":ts32go0e said:
Most bikes of that era look pretty similar, really. Not sure about the Overbury's thing - I've never seen a lugged one.

then you havent lived!

very early Overbury's from Mr.K

1984_andy_powell_overburys_of_bristol_s__153.jpg

The Guv's Overubury's

main.php

overbury_120_113.jpg

Fantastic :) Knew about Pioneers, didn't know about Classics. Every day's an education round these parts :)

I think that I might be able to shed some light on this frame of yours. My boss has a bike that he bought in the mid eighties from a builder in London somewhere. he did tell me who it was but I can't remember :roll: . He used the bike to tour several places around the world. The bike in question is currently in our warehouse and I think that it's exactly the same as yours. I'm fairly sure that it has the same concave feature at the top of the seat stays where they meet the seat tube. It also has the same guide followed by a stop for the rear gear cable that yours has on the downtube. The lugs look the same too from memory and even the geometry looks the same. Also has the rear upper rack mounts and the same half circular rear brake hanger. It even has the twin rack mounts on the front fork iirc. I will try to remember to take my camera to work on Monday, then I will take some pics to verify the similarities. I am afraid that you will need to be patient until then ..... :D

Prometheus":15cbn96q said:
I think that I might be able to shed some light on this frame of yours. My boss has a bike that he bought in the mid eighties from a builder in London somewhere. he did tell me who it was but I can't remember :roll: . He used the bike to tour several places around the world. The bike in question is currently in our warehouse and I think that it's exactly the same as yours. I'm fairly sure that it has the same concave feature at the top of the seat stays where they meet the seat tube. It also has the same guide followed by a stop for the rear gear cable that yours has on the downtube. The lugs look the same too from memory and even the geometry looks the same. Also has the rear upper rack mounts and the same half circular rear brake hanger. It even has the twin rack mounts on the front fork iirc. I will try to remember to take my camera to work on Monday, then I will take some pics to verify the similarities. I am afraid that you will need to be patient until then ..... :D

That would be cooler than Mr. Cool Pants of 324b Cool St, New Coolston, Coolsestershire. :cool:

OK. I have some news.

I have spoken to the boss and he told me that he got the bike from somone called 'Jeff Russ' from 'Bell Street Bikes' in London. The only problem we have now is that I gather that Jeff was not the builder. He had the bikes built to sell in the shop. So we still don't know who actually built it but it's a new starting point for finding out more info.

The bad news. I am sitting here at work and I forgot my camera this morning so can't do the pics but I can confirm that eveything looks identical to your frame. The only bit I can see which differs is that the eyelet for the front rack mount is brazed about 4" higher on the leading edge of the front fork.

I will try to sort it out tommorrow :roll: :oops:
Dave.

Prometheus":dzibf38n said:
The only problem we have now is that I gather that Jeff was not the builder. He had the bikes built to sell in the shop.
I believe that's the same for the unbranded 531 frame and 501 forks I bought as a frameset from a LBS, BITD (95).

Just some general spec of 531 / 501 frames (albeit there seems some variations) built, some unbranded, some branded or badged as various makes.

Ok. Remembered the camera today so here's several pics for comparison. What do you think, is it the same?

gbike01.jpg

gbike02.jpg

gbike03.jpg

gbike04.jpg

gbike05.jpg

gbike06.jpg

gbike07.jpg

gbike08.jpg

gbike09.jpg

gbike10.jpg

gbike11.jpg

Back