On-One Singlespeed 29er - finally finished after 9 months!

beavis

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Finally got this one done and went out for its maiden voyage with Brocklanders and Giant1 on Saturday, fantastic fun. Having never ridden singlespeed before I was a bit apprehensive about the hills etc (uphill that is..) but found it to be easier than I had imagined albeit with nearly getting off on two occasions (but that normally happens whatever I ride..!). Maybe I never cycle to my true potential with a geared steed - its all too easy to change down a gear when they're on tap to use, with a SS you don't have a choice but to keep on pedalling! Bet they make great average pace machines! The 29er wheels keep you moving at a faster pace for the same effort than on a 26" wheeled bike, that was definately noticable. Its a 16" 4130 frame with mainly On-One parts but with Easton finishing kit, ti saddle and XT brakes, Crank and Retro XT Pedals and Skewers ;)

I recommend trying one of these to anyone at least once in their riding career :D

Attachments

• 127099659368986.jpg
    127099659368986.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,311
Nice bike, very simple but effective. Good choice of parts too.

I 'clicked' when I first rode SS too, it just makes things less complicated. I'm yet to ride a 29er yet, definitely something I need to 'tick' off though :)

I commute on a SS 29er and I can second it's effectiveness...they are very quick!

That's a nice looking bike.I did think about on-one but the one thing that ruled it out was the lack of mudguard mounts.

SS might not be for for everyone but they have a place in my bike armoury for one, my main ride is a SS.

after my first long ride i had muscles in places i never had before, must be good!

Smart package. Mudguard thing puts me off dailying one, fancy buying a Pompino for that. I too ride a SS 29er daily on the roads and agree with the comments about speed and learning ya limits/needs. I treat it more like an urban road bike cos its a rigid blummin alu urban thing but geo and features is like an MTB.

I really wonder if a proper cromo 29er would suit me off road, makes sense with speed and efficiency and SS loving but I do like nimble chuckable bikes so it remains to be seen...

Yeah, certainly more testing required on mine to see if it's a viable all rounder. As I said, I've only been out once, about 16 miles mainly on road with a bit of off road chucked in for good measure and was only stumped by one grassy incline - but I've only ever cleaned that hill once before on my Marin full susser anyway...

It weighs around 24/25lbs at the moment. Worked out that if I had of spent a bit more on the wheelset and chose alloy fram over steel it would have come in at 2lbs less albeit comprimised on the ride feel. Maybe titanium? ;)

Latest posts

Back