Just scored ANOTHER Disk drive

Bob G is a friend, and as the crow flies he's a hundred yards away right now (across the street). Sorry, you live here long enough, you meet people :D

BTW, would you be interested in selling a pair of those skinwall Porcs?

eric, did you ever consider cutting away all the clear material from the radial pro wheel? tomac did it for a world champs once (due to heavy side winds). looked totally cool, just so little holding the wheel together... no ideal how it held up tho!

jez-2-many-bikes":95t8ovsq said:
Ive ridden several of mine around but not in sheer anger. Sheer anger may result in crisp-drive.

I built up one of my radial laced t-disks from scratch to see how well it'd hold up. M950 XTR hub on M231 Mavic rim.

I've beat the piss out of it. I've probably ridden harder on it just to see what it could take....including jumps and race duty.
Its been passed around to several bikes in the process.

It's seen some hard miles for sure. Right from the shop it was perfectly true. It would 'settle' and be just slightly out of true, but hold that for quite a few miles. Eventually the wobble would become too much.
Took it in for 3-4 re-trues over the course of 4+ years.
I'd say the wheel has seen over 1000 miles, but not much more than that.

On it's most recent service, it was trued up again and taken for a ride. Half way through it started creaking bad...like old rope. It fell way out of true. The problem was that the screws/nuts that attach the dick to the hub had come loose...which means I'll have to pull the rim to get inside to the nuts to hold things secure. So....pretty much full rebuild on it.

As far as I can tell, it should be ok beyond that. Always a bit out of true, but no worse for wear. Its a finicky wheel that needs lots of monitoring. You an flex the hell out of it just by hopping out of the saddle and powering up a climb. Sometimes its like riding on a tire thats a bit low on air.
The sound and attention you get with them can't be beat though. :D

pbpic797582.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

93slingshot16.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

As an aside...I'd trade one of my NOS unbuilt radial laced disks for a NOS unbuilt blue one.

ameybrook":qq28wj9q said:
Bob G is a friend, and as the crow flies he's a hundred yards away right now (across the street). Sorry, you live here long enough, you meet people :D

BTW, would you be interested in selling a pair of those skinwall Porcs?

Nice!
Bob surely can give you the straight dope on these wheels.
In fact, I'd love to hear his stories on Tomac and those wheels...I bet he's got some good ones.

You've probably got the best resource a hundred yards away from you. :D

As for the Porcs...freyed knot my friend. They're my favorite tire and I can't get my hands on enough! Basically what you're seeing is the same 2 tires moved around. :p

scant":r0gau1ok said:
eric, did you ever consider cutting away all the clear material from the radial pro wheel? tomac did it for a world champs once (due to heavy side winds). looked totally cool, just so little holding the wheel together... no ideal how it held up tho!

Yeah, I saw that in one of the pics too. I wouldn't do it to my own wheel though. I think it'd take away from the noise it makes. ;)

rumpfy":3qkrlr39 said:
jez-2-many-bikes":3qkrlr39 said:
Ive ridden several of mine around but not in sheer anger. Sheer anger may result in crisp-drive.

The problem was that the screws/nuts that attach the dick to the hub had come loose...which means I'll have to pull the rim to get inside to the nuts to hold things secure. So....pretty much full rebuild on it.

you thread locked them all when you built it yeh?

hollister":bdv463mc said:
rumpfy":bdv463mc said:
hollister":bdv463mc said:

I know, pretty right? :D
indeed

(why are all my merlin decals moved? ;) )

They're moved because your work station looks like a tornado hit it and I couldn't find the hanger for the FSX fork. :p

I think your crew was laughing at me.

(S-Works FSR is almost done)

scant":2sa1ds0z said:
rumpfy":2sa1ds0z said:
jez-2-many-bikes":2sa1ds0z said:

The problem was that the screws/nuts that attach the dick to the hub had come loose...which means I'll have to pull the rim to get inside to the nuts to hold things secure. So....pretty much full rebuild on it.

you thread locked them all when you built it yeh?

I didn't build the wheel, but the guy who did knows his stuff, so I'm sure they were (might have been a mild lock tight).

Back