East Midlands Area chat and rides thread

ratch":2ugro9xf said:
orange71":2ugro9xf said:
looks like it'll get busy again as spring arrives :D think we'll have a few returnees.

...and a newbee if i ever get a build sorted :oops: :roll:

Is riding Ticknall on a ss possible?
(bearing in mind i'm not very fit :oops: )

Yes, it's possible. I'm less fit than Ed and I can do it (some weeks ;) ). Worst case is that you might have to get off and push on a few steep climbs but we've all done that!

And riding a 'new' bike is NOT a problem. Modern is fine. Some people ride only modern, some only retro and some mix it up.

unocogero":1jyimtnr said:
Yes, it's possible. I'm less fit than Ed and I can do it (some weeks ;) ). Worst case is that you might have to get off and push on a few steep climbs but we've all done that!

And riding a 'new' bike is NOT a problem. Modern is fine. Some people ride only modern, some only retro and some mix it up.

Thats good to know,wouldn't want to turn up and be left behind for riding to modern! :LOL:

So i should be able to join you guys sooner rather than later,
plus i can pick your brains about my many unfinished projects :roll: :oops: :LOL:

16th looking a bit tricky now due to unforeseen double booking (where I booked first, but apparently that doesn't count :roll: ).

16th looking a bit tricky now

Not to worry. Is it Ticknall on Tuesday?
What a great day you had yesterday. Went out early for a couple of hours so as not to interupt the chores...first ride this year wearing layers rather than the Buffalo top. Realised half way up Nemesis exaclty how much higher geared the Kona is compared to the Pace, which has sorted out what to ride on May 1st.

Here she is...29" Kona Unit...1st ride this morning...interesting, Watson, interesting... :cool:

Attachments

• P1020906small.jpg
    P1020906small.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 630
  • P1020910small.jpg
    P1020910small.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 630
  • P1020907small.jpg
    P1020907small.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 630
  • P1020909small.jpg
    P1020909small.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 630
It is certainly less tight on the really twisty stuff but I was starting to understand what it could do at the end and by taking the corners wide then cutting in sharp I could hustle it round all but the sharpest stuff at a respectable lick.

It feels like a laid back hippy of a bike and I really enjoyed riding it. The myth about big wheels not suiting small riders just didn't seem to make any sense. It didn't feel unwieldy and I didn't feel overwhelmed by the bike length or wheel size.

excellent - laid back is right - that's how mine feels - an all day rider. I struggled round the Pines that time on mine, but then that might reflect the size of the frame more than the wheels.

Nice looking bike!

Never had any trouble round the pines on my 29er, like you say it just requires a slightly different line on tighter corners.
But you can hammer along on quite rough ground with the larger wheel! :cool: :LOL:

orange71":3om3cian said:
excellent - laid back is right - that's how mine feels - an all day rider. I struggled round the Pines that time on mine, but then that might reflect the size of the frame more than the wheels.

My frames 10cm longer than the fire mountain...I bet yours is even longer than that. I found the thing that was slowing me down through the really tight stuff was having more wheel in front of you and a tendancy for the steering to snatch a little 2/3rds of the way into a sharp turn...

Geeky or what? ;)

Latest posts

Back