Drivetrain issues

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
DA 10 speed rear mech, Ultegra 10 cassette, Mavic Aksium wheel.

(It's on an old Dolan built Cougar so it's okay talking about this here!)

Cassette seems to have some play despite being done up proper tight, with Mavic spacer. Thoughts

Rear mech pivot (at b screw) seems to be sticking - GT85 it within an inch of its life?

Ta in anticipation
Radar

It sounds like the wobble is worn freehub body bearings. If the wheel is under a year old I'd grumble to the retailer.

As for the mech pivot, I've had this a couple of times - in an XT and Tiagra. I dismantled the XT and found corrosion all over the shaft for the mech body pivot.

I think spray lubeing the chain caused it for me, and I now only ever use drip lube. The spray lube damages the seals, then water gets in etc. For the Tiagra it probably didn't have them and had done 3 years of commuting and 12,000+ miles.

The play isn't in the freehub,, the sprockets themselves have play around the freehub if that makes sense.

Try putting a 1mm shim behind the cassette against the freehub - may well be that the lockring is bottoming out without tightening down the cassette fully.

1mm shim worked for the cassette. Now just the rear mech to sort. top pulley catches on the cassette. B screw in fully. Feels like a spring isn't working. Any quick ideas before I dismantle it completely?

Back