Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Chain stays are the same colour as the main tubes in the flesh. Seat stays look similar tbh but I did the magnet test and only the seat stays are steel. :? :cool:

brocklanders023":1jjxj3fk said:
Chain stays are the same colour as the main tubes in the flesh. Seat stays look similar tbh but I did the magnet test and only the seat stays are steel. :? :cool:

Take the magnet test with a pinch of salt. Not all steel alloys are magnetic. I think if it has a higher chromium content then it may loose it's magnetic quality.

Didn't know that easy, thanks for the advice. Main tubes and chainstays are defo different to the seatstays though. The only place there was any surface rust was on the seat stays. :cool:

brocklanders023":wcbm3l59 said:

Both the MT4 and MT5 had mang-moly seat stays from Reynolds. The only difference is the 3 main tubes. Either Titanium or XMT100

BTW XMT100 was supplied by British Aerospace. :)

img029.jpg

Mr Paul Hinton, Star Constuction round 3, Gloucester Park, Basildon.
Sunday 27th January 1991

img020.jpg

The Delta Racing Team, original line up
L-R Chris Allcock, Steve Perkins, Geoff Giddings, Sue Dent, Paul Spencer, Matt Postle, Jacqui Fletcher, Pat Adams and Simon Day

Happy Days :D

bikemeister2000":2xn06rpm said:
brocklanders023":2xn06rpm said:

Both the MT4 and MT5 had mang-moly seat stays from Reynolds. The only difference is the 3 main tubes. Either Titanium or XMT100

Any way of telling the difference? If it's any use, mine seems to have the join in the main tubes as mentioned before. :?

brocklanders023":3sbkxxmu said:
bikemeister2000":3sbkxxmu said:
brocklanders023":3sbkxxmu said:

Any way of telling the difference? If it's any use, mine seems to have the join in the main tubes as mentioned before. :?
The join would suggest Ti I'd have thought.. pretty sure the XMT100 tubing wasn't seamed..(?)

brocklanders023,

Looking at your frame photos and comparing it with my MT5 I notice a few differences. The cable-stops on the MT5 are on the top-tube for all the cables and the front-changer, therefore, is a top-pull type. On yours it looks like there is a cable-stop on the down-tube, possibly making it an MT4?

Also on my MT5 the rear cable-stop is brazed (bonded?) onto the side of the seat-tube lug. See images, below.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Attachments

• Main triangle.jpg
    Main triangle.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,911
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,911
Back