1993 Marin Bobcat Trail

Hi, lovely build up. ALmost better than the original!

Out if interest, where did you source replacement decals from? I'm thinking of renovating my 1994 Palisades Trail and can't seem to find any.

Cheers, Craig.

Thanks,

I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. Only had a short ride in the cold wind last night to sort out the gears and it seemed to ride pretty well - even with the narrow bars and long stem. The saddle feels pretty hard and uncomfortable but I'm sure with a bit of fiddling I'll get it right.

Glad you like the bottle tops. I found them on ebay, it is a plastic thing you fit into the end of the bar but it has a lip on the outside the same diameter as a glass bottle. When the end caps get scratched (which they will) you just take off the old cap and fit a new one. The Lech caps are a nice bright green which I found after browsing the local Tesco. Another bottle top on the stem looks better than the original silver part.

widow71":316m0gyf said:
Thanks,

I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. Only had a short ride in the cold wind last night to sort out the gears and it seemed to ride pretty well - even with the narrow bars and long stem. The saddle feels pretty hard and uncomfortable but I'm sure with a bit of fiddling I'll get it right.

Glad you like the bottle tops. I found them on ebay, it is a plastic thing you fit into the end of the bar but it has a lip on the outside the same diameter as a glass bottle. When the end caps get scratched (which they will) you just take off the old cap and fit a new one. The Lech caps are a nice bright green which I found after browsing the local Tesco. Another bottle top on the stem looks better than the original silver part.

And everytime you scratch them you get to drink beer?
Excellent idea.

Frame: 19" Marin Bobcat Trail, repainted with stickers by Gil_M

Fork: Original, repainted

Headset: Some kind of silver one, with new bearings
Stem: Original long quill type, repainted
Handlebar: Original narrow thing, also repainted
Grips: Cube foam lock ons - they look original but actually stay put when it gets wet.
Barends: No chance

Brakes: NOS Shimano STX
Brake Pads: I can't remember
Brake Cables: two
Cantilever cable hangers: Gunmetal CND
Brake Levers: X-Lite chicken stix, black, NOS

Shifters: Cheap Shimano ones
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: Short cage XT
Derailleur Cables: two
Cassette: Shimano
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: XT, polished
Crank Bolts: Brand X self extracting
Chainrings: A selection
Chainring bolts: Green KCMC
Bottom Bracket: UN 54
Pedals: Egg beaters. Not retro but I needed some new cleats (which were about £15) but I found the pedals and cleats for £18 from CRC

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Mavic 519, rebranded by me as Araya
Hubs: XT
Nipples: Silver
Spokes: Silver
Tyres: Michelin XC, again not retro but they work pretty well
Tubes: black ones

Saddle: Filte
Seatpost: Push
Seatpost Binder: Original

(also green anodised bolts where possible)

Weight: Don't know, but more than I thought for a rigid hardtail!

Brilliant job!!! Given me incentive to get on with my same year/same colour Eldridge Grade, but at the moment enjoying riding it too much. What paint did you use for the matt dark grey finish and how scratch resistant is it? :cool:

:shock:

Wow, looks quality. Well done must be chuffed to bits with the finished results.

Back