Rock Shox Judy XC Rebuild Help

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Popped into the LBS this arvi to cause some trouble and came away with a free shagged pair of Judys.. Nice work.. :LOL:

Thing is, I've got no idea how to rebuild them :roll:

The Elastomers are well and truly buggered and need replacing [hence the giveaway], but I can't get all of them out. How do I free the stansion from the lower legs? I've undone the bolts at the base of the legs and removed the caps, but they won't come apart.. Do they need soaking in something to free them up? I've no idea what condition the catridge is in inside, how do I get at it? I thought the whole lot came apart? The legs are in great shape with only a few minor scratches..

I know they're not worth much, but thought it would be good to learn how to rebuild a pair.. Who knows, they might even work afterwards ;)

Attachments

• 96JudyXC.jpg
    96JudyXC.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,181
Bewdy! Cheers mate, that's perfecto!

Followed the instructions..

Both stacks were entriely perished, but it seems asides from a little wear on the neutral shaft, the insides are okay. Stansions look awesome! Not sure I'll go the elastomer stack route tho, need to find some coil springs and perhaps replace the oil damper with an Englund unit.. :cool:

One question, should I be able to see thru both stansions? There seems to be a plastic stopper inside, half way up/down the non-dampened leg.. :?

Attachments

• 96JudyXC_Internals.jpg
    96JudyXC_Internals.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3,160
yes, you should see clearly through out the stanchions. Plastic/silon stoppers (white/creamy) were used to hold/keep (sorry I dont know whats the best English word to use) elastomers on cartridge and dummy shaft. I think they stucked in stanchions and you can push them out the stanchions. No problem with that.
Regarding manual, please, look at retrobike site and find manuals section, or just use Google and type Rock Shox Judy service manual in PDF. It is to find it on web or here in manual section. If not, let me know and I will send you a copy via email.

Re:

Yeah, there are manuals in the archive section or google it. The 1996 Judy XC manual appears to be what you need.
The 'blockage' is the upper shaft guide, #20.
The guide supports the neutral rod horizontally and is a plastic disc with an oring on the inside to support the rod, and and oring on the outside to position it.
On the few forks I have done recently, it was stuck in there and I used couple 3/8 extensions and a 10 or 12 mm socket to tap it downward.
Maybe shoot some PB blaster or something at it first.
Send your significant other somewhere and use hot water soap and a bottle brush in the kitchen sink to clean the tubes all up.

Back