This 'dibs' thing

MODERATOR speaks: Sorry had to do that cos that last post that I have now removed was slightly out of order and would have caused a lot of offence.

OMG,im so sorry,i just thought back what i typed.it was taken out of context,i swear.didnt mean it in that manner.i apologise for any ill-feeling or offence i may have caused.my bad entirely.

I would hope on a friendly forum like this that if someone expresses interest then its polite to say something like 'I'd be interested if xyz decides not to take it'. Otherwise you get people dibbing first and asking questions later. I nearly always have some questions on condition, clarification of size, price etc before I know whether I'll definitely take it.

I tend to work on first to state they will pay basis, ie deffo take.

Though, if there are two who are both just interested at first, will give the first quick chance to say deffo yay/nay as someone else interested.

Also, once a sale agreed, I treat it as done. If you want an auction, there is evilbay :D

Rene, it's basically asking the seller to reserve it for you and remove it from the marketplace.

It's ok, but a lot of people just say 'dibs' before thinking whether they really want it. I'm sure we've all been guilty at some point. In the meantimme someone that would really want it may miss the opportunity.

First definate acceptance gets it in my book.

Wu-Tangled":okc9qao3 said:
Rene, it's basically asking the seller to reserve it for you and remove it from the marketplace.

It's ok, but a lot of people just say 'dibs' before thinking whether they really want it. I'm sure we've all been guilty at some point. In the meantimme someone that would really want it may miss the opportunity.

First definate acceptance gets it in my book.

I see no problem is the dibs system, the problem lies in people misusing it and just dibbing things then forgetting or dibbing everything because they're bored at work.

I only dib something if I actually want it but need more details. Think this is fair enough. Actually find it quite irritating when I lose out on something because someone has sold it despite the fact I was first in line just because I don't live on the PC.

If people are dibbing they are willing to risk it is gone later. Definite yes overrules. This is my general rule. In practice I can handle it less strictly though.

Personally I never call dibs.

Back