Kona Hot info wanted.

stevek

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Anyone got any info on the '96 Kona Hot that they could pass my way? I've searched the site but all I seem to find are ebay ads. Also been on Konaretro but the '96 catalogue isn't there. The rest of the web isn't turning up much for me either.

To explain, a friend of mine has just bought a '96 Hot but I thought '96-'98 models came with Ritchey dropouts and his hasn't. The cable routing configuration on his is two on the top tube and one on the down tube. It's a stars and bars paint job but has been resprayed, I'm not sure if this was the original colour scheme or not. It has an 853 sticker on it but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.

That's all the info I have ATM and I don't have a picture yet either.

Any help/info appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

More info and a pic from him, he says the dropouts are Ritchey after all.

Attachments

• HOT.JPG
    HOT.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,193
That went on ebay recently didn't it?
There is something about that colour scheme that is pure sex - i really wish i could have justified the need to have had a bid or two on it! :(

Cheers guys. Yep, he bought it off ebay recently and he's very pleased with it, very light so should build up into a sub 20lb bike for him (singlespeed).

Supposed to be real nice frames. Didn't Teesdale weld some of these up??

You're right John, Tom Teesdale built the Hots from '90-'95 using tange prestige tubing.

And a very nice job he did too.

That may be a 97 frame painted as a 96 as a couple of things don't look right.

I have a copy of the 96 catalogue and will check it later, but from memory the logos are wrong as it the cable routing for a 96.

Not a 96 Hot

Steve,

Thats definitely not a 96 Hot. The 96 frames have the deraileur cabling on the downtube and the logos/decals are not correct for the 96 model year either.

It's most likely a 97 custom painted to look like a 96 as it has the early 97 cable routing for a top pull front derailleur and rear derailleur along the downtube.

The best check would be the frame number as there are a few fakes about.

I can also scan the 96 catalogue if you'd like.

It's definitely a Hot, as to the year I'm not sure and whether it's been resprayed in the original paint scheme I don't know either. As soon as I see him again I'll get the serial number and perhaps it'll shed some light.

Back