P7 Project

I was hoping for something a bit better than the me plus bathroom scales method ;)
They're just not accurate enough.

They put my modded evo8 at about 26.5-27 pounds. The p7 felt a lot lighter but the scales said it was only about 1 pound lighter. I guess its just over 25 pounds.

bathroom scales are ok if you weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the bike... and doing the maths..

I had a school friend who was obsessed with a similar practice for a while..
It involved weighing himself before and after visiting the 'bathroom' and noting his 'weightloss'
He was a strange lad though!

Steve

Haven't updated this in ages but now seemed a good time. I originally built this for the wife but as she is pregnant at the moment and as my main ride is sidelined due to crap avid brake I decided to take it out today .

It's had some minor part changes to enable easier changing of stem to suit whoever is riding it. It's got some mildly trimmed down orange riser bars on it and the ART stem is back on. Also I had to switch back to vbrake due to lack of choice of canti compatible stems. It now sports avid speed dial levers and ovation vees with new Clarkes pads. Also raised the seatpost a good six inches and stuck my sdg saddle on for the time being.

Rode 28 miles on it on a mix of road, track bridleway and muddy clifftops. Although the riding position is quite low and forward compared to my evo it handles surprisingly well. On the downside it feels twitchy at low speed but it corners and climbs much better than my evo. It performed quite well with the only niggles being occasional gear misshifts as the shifters feel very lightly sprung compared to modern ones. Really quite pleased with it and I hope to be going out on it again soon.

that's the first time i have seen this thread, as usual argos do a perfect paint job. i have a nickel p7project on the go, luckily at the moment the nickel finish is ok for the most part but i can see it needing a paint job at some point, i inquired about having it nickel plated again and there was talk of 400!!!! :shock: :shock: argos single colours with stickers are from £130 so i think it'll be paint when the time comes!

as far as the handling goes i recently have been riding mostly retro, vit t, evo2, e3, tonight i rode my 07 clockwork(1st time in 3 months) and i forgot how different the geometry is and stuggled finding the balance point on hills, you know, that point where if you lean forward the rear wheel spins and if you lean back the front lifts! climbing on old skool bikes is much easier! :D

climbing on old skool bikes is much easier

Definitely. Comparing my evo and p7, the evo is longer, particularly in the chainstays. Also the bars and stem are good 6 inches higher in the evo. Have to admit I am going to play with my riding position on the evo more now as I was surprised how comfortable the old p7 felt. On long rides I get a bit of back ache. I think I am going to go for a shorter stem on the evo and possibly lower it a bit too.

I haven't updated this in a while...and there are quite a few changes coming.
Some changes to the front end for now...

1) I switched to some (slightly trimmed) Orange Supercross riser bars as the position was a bit too low.
2) I also put on a 100mm Thomson Elite stem, just 'cos I liked the look of it. Think the silver colour goes better with the rest of the bike. I also changed the faceplate bolts for some blue alloy ones.
3) The Avid Speed Dials have made way for some xt m739 levers and I added black alloy bolts for the lever clamps.
4) Got a matching xt vee brake on the front, but haven't sorted the back one yet. Added blue cable end crimps whilst I was there, and a ti cable clamp bolt.
5) I took the m569 shifters apart and managed to get them working more smoothly. I also fitted blue ti bolts for the shifter clamps.
6) Switched the quill adaptor for a profile one (which meant I didn't need to use a shim), and fitted a titanium quill bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_5105.JPG
    IMG_5105.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 813

Latest posts

Back