Pauls stuff - loadsa new gear!

mamadirt":wth8pp6q said:
was there far more choice back in the day?

There were more choices. Many of those choices fell off in the 90's. Some of those choices deserved to go away, but not all. I've heard someone say that the big shakeup when a lot of people went out of business can be described in one phrase: M900.

They contend that M900 worked better than the alternatives and not just on cranks either. That is of course a matter for debate but suffice it to say that M900 did capture the marketplace, for better or for worse. Right now you have a lot of companies in the 29'er market (though I'm not knowledeable about this myself) and some contend that the big names are going to do to the 29'er market what happened in the 90's to the component market. They wait and see and when it's ripe they pounce. Not sure if I agree or not (pleading ignorance on this) but that is what some I know have said.

But back to your original original question, there were a lot of choices back then.

Pinguwin

Wow!

29er.jpg

Stu

I don't think it was M900. There was still demand for CNC stuff after XTR came out in 91 or 92. CNC custom stuff was still popular until around 97.

It was M950 and Octalink. M950 was so radically different to everything the small CNC workshops were able to run off, that it did away with the need to "upgrade".

Middleburn seem to be the only company from those days that has been able to survive. And they were latecomers. I was on the waiting list for the original Rhino cranks in 92 and XTR had been around a couple of years at that point. Basically Middleburn were offering stuff of the same type for half the price of Grafton, Topline and Cooks.

Funny, I was gonna say in reply to Pinguwin's post that I hope that 29ers don't go the same way - despite being waay too short for one I'm still interested to see what the smaller manufacturers have to offer . . . but that Kelly just looks sooooo wrong. Purple seems to be making a resurgence in BMX and I think works well alongside goth inspired minimal graphics and black paintjobs but please keep it away from the modern day mtb . . . keep it retro :!:

paul's thumbies setup

hey - i too thought i'd made an expensive mistake, but some experimentation and heavy google action and i got it sorted in the end.

Mine are 9 speed, but when I first set them up I had a few index clicks in the high gears and then this weird long through no click thing right through the middle range and then a few more clicks at the low end, but nowhere near the right amount of clicks.

turns out i'd been playing with the position of the barcon lever before mounting it to the Paul's unit. Mount them back up and check the clicks, if it's weird - undo the main mounting bolt and rotate the position of the shifter against the square section of the pauls mount, then tighten it up and try it again, repeat the rotation trick a few times if it's not right first time and you should sort it out.

took me a few go's but as of this morning's commute it was working brilliantly. am using a "normal" shimano 9 speed rear mech and had no problems with the indexing.

Attachments

• paul.JPG
    paul.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,189
I find it odd that he's re-released the cantilever version of his brake lever, but you can only buy V-brakes.

Re: paul's thumbies setup

95bonty":1oyl09qc said:
Mine are 9 speed, but when I first set them up I had a few index clicks in the high gears and then this weird long through no click thing right through the middle range and then a few more clicks at the low end, but nowhere near the right amount of clicks.
yep that hapened to me too when I first fitted them, got them working correctly through trial amd error.

Nice - always like paul stuff. :)

Funny to see this as I'm agonising over whether to buy a set of motolites for one of my kona hots - anybody else have some?

mynchiboy":1dn1d075 said:
I'm agonising over whether to buy a set of motolites

Why agonize? Great brakes, best V-brake I've tried, wouldn't have anything else. What more can you say? No agony, no problems.

Pinguwin

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back