Dipping a toe in the water .... Merlin Extralight?

Kestonian

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
[checks no-one is looking as I make my first foray into the skinny wheeled side]

Since I've signed up for my first triathlon in 12 years, I rashly promised myself I wouldn't spend any cash on unnecessary kit until I was happy that my single speed Langster was actually holding me back. Having raced on a Yeti FRO with slicks, it feels pretty nippy!

But that's kind of frustrating when I stroll into the LBS out here and there's a used Merlin Extralight, in my size, at a decent price hanging on the wall. Ok it's "only" got Centaur on it, which is plenty good enough for me and gives me room to upgrade later :)

Of all the bikes I've never had, a Merlin XLM was the one I've kept half an eye out for, even after I snagged a Mountain and built it into a s/s off road carbon / ti snake, so finding an Extralight is quite a nice touch.

The question is ... can I take it for a test ride? I have a feeling it's pretty pointless. If I get that far, I've probably bought it in my head already!

Is there anything I should know about the versions? I know they made a change in 2005 but if anyone has any detailed knowledge, please post here. I'll check the frame number when I'm feeling brave!!

Well, I went in to take her for a spin and walked out ... empty handed :(

Whenever people ask me which bike they should get, I always tell them to ride all the ones they like for the money, and buy the one that feels "right"

And the Merlin just didn't feel right. I think it was a tad small for me and the Centaur shifters didn't do anything for me - my thumb is just in totally the wrong place.

So, someone else's dream bike is waiting for them.

(I even rode some carbon ones, but it's ok I didn't like them, either)

Back to the Langster for now. Few more miles and I'll get a bigger chainring :)

It was a 57cm frame. Build was Centaur throughout with Ksyrium SL wheels (I think). Seatpost for Super Record Carbon. I didn't notice the bars. Stem was in line with the build, but I can't recall the make or model.

One thing I spotted was that the cranks were 172.5 which I thought was odd, but having done some reading, it shows how little I know about road bikes!

Anyway, price was 4k Singapore dollars. Overall in very good nick.

Shout if you want more details!

Thanks for the info. Too big for me sadly :-(

I have a Merlin road bike in a 55 and was looking for the next size down....

See if you can get hold of a Colnago C-40 or C50 for a test ride- still my fav modernish road bike by a long shot..........

Andy

I have a 57cm Merlin ti Dura Ace road bike - its the greatest bike I have ever had the pleasure to own and ride. sadly back injury means I can't ride it and other bikes as much these days and I am considering selling. It has a full Dura Ace 9 speed group, nice Italian bars/stem/post, top end handmade wheels, and the LEGENDARY Selle Flight CARBON evo mk.1 saddle its quite a classic (and I even have the original full Dura Ace 8 speed group it came with originally if anyone wants it completely original, I upgraded it to 9 speed a year ago) matthew.stears@canterbury.ac.uk for more information.

FAB - glad to hear the langster is still getting regular use - great fun that single speed, its brilliance was in its simplicity - more bikes should be like that. I will send you some details of my Merlin in a few days once I get it out of the garage again and dust it off again

Back