Cougar- Joey McLoughlin

wasn't he the Pocket Rocket

No, that was Steve Joughin, twice National Pro Road Champ in the eighties.

Here's me on my aero-tubed Cougar in 1986. Note the sensible sized chainring! ;) :D
60tring-1.jpg

Old Ned":1nd8e3wo said:
This is weird! This afternoon I've been watching an old video of the last stage of the 1988 Kellogs Tour of Britain around Westminster. The overall event being won by Joey McCloughlin who featured quite heavily in the broadcast and interviewed by Richard Keys (whatever happened to him?) at the end. He was riding for ANC at the time and they had Peugeot team bikes so the Cougar will probably date to his amateur days. I think these were '87 and before as I think he turned pro' for the '88 season - however I could be wrong!

Hi Ned

Richard Keys is now a studio presenter on Sky Spports for the Premiership Football matches.

Do you have any more Kellogs tour stages from 1987, 1988 or 1989 as I dont have these years. I have from 1990 onwards.

Steve Kish":3z57zrki said:
wasn't he the Pocket Rocket

No, that was Steve Joughin, twice National Pro Road Champ in the eighties.

Here's me on my aero-tubed Cougar in 1986. Note the sensible sized chainring! ;) :D
60tring-1.jpg

I said that in February................................... :roll:

But never mind eh.

Nice bike, do you wish you still had it?

As for old videos, I have quite a few that I copied BITD from Channel 4 broadcasts of the Kellogs City Centre events and the TdF. I'll have to sort them out and make a list. They need to be put on DVD for posterity - or even longer!

Nice bike, do you wish you still had it?

In a 'miss it' kinda way, yes, but this was a pure TT bike and as I'm now retired ...

TBH, it was a bit of a pain. The seatpin wasn't clamped in the frame as such, it was held by a rear Allen bolt that chewed into the pin. As I didn't want it to slip, I tightened this up into a pre-drilled hole, so micro adjusting was out of the question.

Also, the internal gear cable was a bee-atch! There was a bit of sleeving around the bracket spindle that had to be cut to an accuarcy of about 0.001mm or it would touch against the spindle. Even then, both the internal rear brake and gear cables used to 'ting' against the frame whenever I went over bumpy roads.

Had it for about 6 months before I sold it on.

I'm pretty sure Joey used to work for Terry Dolan after he packed up racing.Joey was a top UK rider in his day,4th in the Amstel Gold Dutch classic and renowned for being aggressive with his legs and occasionally with his fists!

Yeah Joey did work for Cougar and TD in at least '96 as he was the sales rep I bought my Cougar from. I think Cougar was sold on to Donohue shortly aftrewards (and went downhill) and TD started doing frames under his own name. I believe some of the pre-Donohue Cougar frame builders started another company whose name I don't recall.

I believe some of the pre-Donohue Cougar frame builders started another company whose name I don't recall.

I had also heard this somewhere. Anybody any futher info?

Might - but don't hold me to it - be Corrado Cycles who are also now defunct. Dave Lloyd was on the design & building team, and Roger Hammond won a 'cross national title or two on their frames during his time at the Collstrop-Palmans squad (the frames were re-badged as F.W. Evans).

David

Correct! - Is was Corrado. Are they still around? I remember they were doing frames with the Dedacai Tubesets.

When Dauphin Sport was trading well in the eighties (Tony Mills' shop as opposed to Cycles Dauphin, the current Box Hill shop that has all the atmosphere of a lunar landing), Joey M was a bit of a hero there.

Loads of stuff was sold as 'just like Joey uses' and there were loads of his posters all around the place.

Happy days!! :cool:

Back