Blackmount/Glen Etive - Sat24/Sun25 APRIL AFTERMAaaa.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr P do you fancy putting up a proposed agenda for this now - Day 1 departure times, loose ETA's for major stops, I still need to work out when to get there and what to bring.

Dyna will you make it to the bothy or are you intending staying put at BofO? I just thought you might be able to hitch/bus to Taynault and walk to the bothy from there (via ferry) to join us for the evening. Although it might be harder to get back the following day.

Route Map :cool:

Dark red line marks the way.....
Nothing technical, mix of undulating LR track, footpath and some tarmac. Small amout of walking 1 mile (?) if boggy. Still need to check N end of L Etive and boat availability (no scheduled ferry, but there are boat operators based there). Exposed to weather, especially on final leg plus a couple of river crossings Wink
Around the 75 mile mark in total as shown.

etivemap.jpg

1 - start/finish Bridge of Orchy. Hotel, bunkhouse, basic free camping all within 50metres of each other. Could stay over before/after trip if you want. Approx 4/5 miles on single track road to..........

2 - Victoria Bridge, Blackmount Estate. Join part of WHW track, 12 miles to........

3 - Kingshouse Hotel, Glencoe. Good beer and food. Then approx 15miles along another singletrack road, tarmac, to........

4 - road end at top of Loch Etive. 12 miles along footpath/Landrover track to.......

5 - Cadderlie Bothy Cool Stop. xmas cool Then approx 3/4 miles to.......

6 - Bonawe Quarry. Get boat (TBA) to ....

7 - Taynuilt Pier. Cycle LR track/footpath to Armaddy, through Glen Kinglass and back to BofO - approx 30miles Cool Cool R&R Very Happy

There was/is a hotel on the west highland way after bridge of orchy but before kingshouse. Oot in the middle of nowhere, what is it? I remember it being a veritable oasis good food nice bar and a roaring fire. The memory may be fuzzy after all these years and at the time I was 3 days into the Way and any refreshment stop was a slice of heaven.

The Inveroran Hotel - about 4 miles along the tarmac singletrack road from BofO at the end of Loch Tulla. Quite basic as I recall with limited opening hours, but haven't been in for a few years now.

Thats the one, it was a miserable traipse out to it but it had a fine bowl of soup and a lovely pint. Got us out to Kingshouse where we relented and booked a room.

How warm will the bothy be? - roaring fire? Trying to work out which sleeping bag to bring, I can't use duck down because of allergies so I am trying not to bring the warm bag as it is so bulky.

I was going to bring a light weight one and a survival bag in case it gets chilly.

Everything I carry is likely to be on my back as I don't have rackmounts, although I am looking at constructing something so my handlebars can carry my sleeping bag.

Have started to draft a basic list of items to take, but was interrupted and yet to complete it. Nothing fancy really as its only one night, basic cooking stuff, lightweight food, spare clothes, tools, medications etc etc

Re getting to bothy from Taynuilt - probably not possible unless by prior arrangement. No regular ferry service - the guy does sightseeing trips and so on. He's taking us across as a special.

Certainly an option for non-bothyers to stay overnight (camp, bunkhouse, hotel) next to BofO or Kingshouse Hotels (and indeed the Inveroran) which could be fun. Camping is permitted close to the hotels.

On my last outing here the roughest part was from the road end at top of Loch Etive - had to walk for a few hundred metres before getting decent track - next few miles was much gettingon and getting off bikdue to steep/rough parts of the track. From Point 4 on map southwards. Once past this then all difficulties are over and its on to a cosy night with walls and a roof :p

Given the terrain i'd strongly suggest carrying the minimum gear, but waterproofs and spare togs essential if weather likely to be inclement :roll: Bothy beside river so lightweight dehdrated cuisine OK for the night. Yummy. Watr supply is good and reliable :LOL:

Will post something more detailed when I get onto a PC without fwalty keyboad :evil:

The Ken":q7qpcnuf said:
Mr P do you fancy putting up a proposed agenda for this now - Day 1 departure times, loose ETA's for major stops, I still need to work out when to get there and what to bring.

Dyna will you make it to the bothy or are you intending staying put at BofO? I just thought you might be able to hitch/bus to Taynault and walk to the bothy from there (via ferry) to join us for the evening. Although it might be harder to get back the following day.

Route Map :cool:

Dark red line marks the way.....
Nothing technical, mix of undulating LR track, footpath and some tarmac. Small amout of walking 1 mile (?) if boggy. Still need to check N end of L Etive and boat availability (no scheduled ferry, but there are boat operators based there). Exposed to weather, especially on final leg plus a couple of river crossings Wink
Around the 75 mile mark in total as shown.

etivemap.jpg

1 - start/finish Bridge of Orchy. Hotel, bunkhouse, basic free camping all within 50metres of each other. Could stay over before/after trip if you want. Approx 4/5 miles on single track road to..........

2 - Victoria Bridge, Blackmount Estate. Join part of WHW track, 12 miles to........

3 - Kingshouse Hotel, Glencoe. Good beer and food. Then approx 15miles along another singletrack road, tarmac, to........

4 - road end at top of Loch Etive. 12 miles along footpath/Landrover track to.......

5 - Cadderlie Bothy Cool Stop. xmas cool Then approx 3/4 miles to.......

6 - Bonawe Quarry. Get boat (TBA) to ....

7 - Taynuilt Pier. Cycle LR track/footpath to Armaddy, through Glen Kinglass and back to BofO - approx 30miles Cool Cool R&R Very Happy

The Ken":1he1t4zd said:
How warm will the bothy be? - roaring fire? Trying to work out which sleeping bag to bring, I can't use duck down because of allergies so I am trying not to bring the warm bag as it is so bulky.

I was going to bring a light weight one and a survival bag in case it gets chilly.

Everything I carry is likely to be on my back as I don't have rackmounts, although I am looking at constructing something so my handlebars can carry my sleeping bag.

Bothy warmth - excellent if I get permission to drive in a few bags of logs etc. :D

Otherwise - well depends on weather really, there will be enough wood which we can scavenge locally to at least get a fire lit, for a while, whilst we huddle haplessly around it, trembling with cold and The Fear of what horrors lurk outside :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back