Merlin Fat Ti Extralight/ Spectrum Super

I went to NAHBS (north american handmade bike show) and talked to the Black Sheep Bikes guys about building custom ti fork legs for the Merlin. It's a go! We have lift off. James at Black Sheep has been great. He is excited about doing this outside of the box custom work. I have put the deposit down and now just have to decide if I want it set up for cantis or for cantis and disc? Which should I do?

Should I keep the classic look and only have brake bosses for v's?

Or should I add a disc tap as well even though I don't plan on using disc in the foreseeable future? I want to know!

AtomicAtom":rg0m24yo said:
Unfortunately the guy's name who sold it to me is on the top tube. Any ideas on how to remove it are welcome.

First, I really like it!

Second, yes that sucks! Not only is there some guy's name on the toptube....the name is (say it out loud now) "D. Gehman"

Hmm.....maybe a sticker?

Update finally!
Here is the Merlin with a set of (structurally sound) Spinergy wheels. These actually may have added a small amount of weight but it's still sub 25lbs. It rides really well. I've never used Spinergy's before but really enjoyed their lateral stiffness. They make a funny noise but don't seem like the weigh as much as they do. I also replaced the handlebar with a Easton Monkey Lite, and put a shorter stem on. Enjoy some photos.

4480029355_61ab7f67d1_b.jpg

4480681580_3e0da975aa_b.jpg

I'm into the Spinergys for now. One thing I like is there stiffness, one thing I don't like is how hard it is to change a tire. They have no give in that department. I like the way they look. I nice set of black crossmax, or a lightweight old school set would work too. (Anyone want to trade a nice pair for my Spinergys? hehe) Ultimately this ride isn't complete yet. Just wait until I have the new Titanium fork legs made by Black Sheep to round out this awesome bike! I think I am a few weeks away from delivery, so watch this space!

AtomicAtom":23wr7uqg said:
I'm into the Spinergys for now. One thing I like is there stiffness, one thing I don't like is how hard it is to change a tire. They have no give in that department. I like the way they look. I nice set of black crossmax, or a lightweight old school set would work too. (Anyone want to trade a nice pair for my Spinergys? hehe) Ultimately this ride isn't complete yet. Just wait until I have the new Titanium fork legs made by Black Sheep to round out this awesome bike! I think I am a few weeks away from delivery, so watch this space!

sweet, Atom :cool:

looking forward to seeing that one-off Ti fork.

Stripping the paint.

Just something to keep in mind... I've seen a few painted Ti bikes that don't have beautiful welds when stripped. I think some mfg's might sort the frames into piles that get painted and piles that don't get painted. There is a small chance that if you strip the paint, you might not be happy with the way some of the welds. It looks like you've decided to keep it painted which is good. I like a 'stealthy' ti.

Re: Stripping the paint.

bennie222":2j9t0due said:
Just something to keep in mind... I've seen a few painted Ti bikes that don't have beautiful welds when stripped. I think some mfg's might sort the frames into piles that get painted and piles that don't get painted. There is a small chance that if you strip the paint, you might not be happy with the way some of the welds. It looks like you've decided to keep it painted which is good. I like a 'stealthy' ti.

not the case here. Merlin and Spectrum- both highly reputable

Back