front / rear brake which lever ?

Steve Kish":41z540cv said:
My hybrid and off-road with straight bars use front/right but on my road bike, it's front/left.

This stems from my early racing days when this was the continental style and actually made changing down with downtube shifters and front wheel braking able to be done at the same time.

That makes sort of sense. I just use my left hand for both shifters - reach through the frame. Bit clumsy but I'm more of a cruiser than a racer.

Legally new bikes have to be sold this way, although you're allowed to change it yourself.

Erm, that's just not true. Hop on a Trek at your local bike shop and look at what way round they are. There's no law that says "left/back"

terryhfs":10s8rpz1 said:
Legally new bikes have to be sold this way, although you're allowed to change it yourself.

Erm, that's just not true. Hop on a Trek at your local bike shop and look at what way round they are. There's no law that says "left/back"

You may be right, I think it's more a custom rather than legal requirement. I have the full standards for Mountain Bikes I assume it to be the same for Road Bikes.

Mountain-bicycles - Safety requirements and test methods
EN 14766

4.6 Brakes

4.6.1 Braking-systems
A bicycle shall be equipped with at least two independent braking-systems. At least one shall operate on the front
wheel and one on the rear wheel. The braking-systems shall operate without binding and shall be capable of
meeting the braking-performance requirements of 4.6.7.
Brake-blocks containing asbestos shall not be permitted.

4.6.2 Hand-operated brakes

4.6.2.1 Brake-lever position
The handbrake levers for front and rear brakes shall be positioned according to the legislation or custom and
practice of the country in which the bicycle is to be sold, and the bicycle manufacturer shall state in the
manufacturer’s instructions which lever operates the front brake and which lever operates the rear brake (see also
Clause 5 a)).

I don't know whether there is any separate legislation regarding lever position, but certainly as far as the EN (replaced old BSI) standards show there is no requirement.

That makes sort of sense. I just use my left hand for both shifters - reach through the frame.

Sure, but in my early racing days, you had to use a bit of finesse, as this was prior to the first Shimano indexed system. :D

Steve Kish":axh75jox said:
That makes sort of sense. I just use my left hand for both shifters - reach through the frame.

Sure, but in my early racing days, you had to use a bit of finesse, as this was prior to the first Shimano indexed system. :D

I'm old enough to remember graduating from a 5 speed to a 10 speed, no indexing in those days.
Unfortunately I'm too old to remember how I used to shift back then.

Back