Restoration dilemma

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm sourcing the last few parts for the restoration of my Parkpre Pro Image 1994. The bike originally came with Dia Compe cantis & Dia Compe PC7 levers, the rest of the bike is XT throughout. I do not want to fit cantis to the bike but use V-brakes, the ones that were fitted before it was all dismantled were the old style LX V-brakes BL-M601 & BR-M601 (M567 groupset).

Should I get XT V-brakes of a suitable vintage M739* or M750* or put the ugly LX ones back on?

PS. *Anyone have a set for sale for a reasonable price?

I find that plain Deore V-brakes with the logos rubbed off look acceptable on a retro build. The parallel linkage thing looks too modern otherwise, though I think that's dropped now for the 07 model year...

Why was it that we used to think cantilevers were superbly powerful and then once you'd tried V's there was no going back? My U-brake still seems stupidly powerful though.

terryhfs":1w7zg6q8 said:
Why was it that we used to think cantilevers were superbly powerful and then once you'd tried V's there was no going back? .

I never got on with Vs - I tried them and put the cantilevers back on again (until I went hydraulic that is.)

Back