Scottish bike shops

WOW Big Eck, thats an impressive gamble,

Only advice I could give is, keep it simple, dont give stuff away and diversify into other areas non bike. The local bike shops of midlothian also do car/motorbike consumables like oil, wipers,sparkplugs,brakepads etc plus key cutting, watch batteries and anything else that might get folk through the door. Also work on getting a loyal client base and if possible have some form of internet presence like an ebay shop.

If you go for it I promise to buy all my new bike bits stuff via you ;)

Finally keep your present employers sweet as a back up plan ;)

Do your homework big fella. Get a good look at his accounts, make sure he's not running away from a business that he can't get to work. Has the shop been open since he put it up for sale, or did he just shutter it? If it's been closed for any length of time, you'll have to re-establish a customer base.

And keep in mind:

Davedownhill":rrrs1lak said:
Not even close to tempting!!
Street is a total backwater, traffic flows all round there but that spot is deader than a dead thing, plus its 50 yards from Sandy Gilchrists old shop which will take any local trade as its been there forever

On the plus side, Gazz in marketing is still ready:

4271695538_6c23a3af56_o.jpg

Having said all that, I'm all for turning what you love doing in your freetime into a wage to live off, just make sure that you go into it with both eyes open and that you have a chance of making it work.

Just though of another issue, sorry I am a major pessimist.

In today's market place its not enough to just be enthusiastic you need certificates of competence in Bike Mechanics such as Cytech Qualifications. Dont build a customer a wheel unless you have an official certificate of competence in wheel building. A wheel failure without some official backup for you could be costly if the customer comes after you :shock: Personal indemnity insurance may also be a consideration :roll:

Sorry, i know I'm a doom merchant :oops:

Velo

velomaniac":156sj2bf said:
Just though of another issue, sorry I am a major pessimist.

In today's market place its not enough to just be enthusiastic you need certificates of competence in Bike Mechanics such as Cytech Qualifications. Dont build a customer a wheel unless you have an official certificate of competence in wheel building. A wheel failure without some official backup for you could be costly if the customer comes after you :shock: Personal indemnity insurance may also be a consideration :roll:

Sorry, i know I'm a doom merchant :oops:

Velo

You're not a doom merchant big chap, just covering all the bases and thats very important when starting your own business.

on topic again though i would be third in saying willy bain as he's pretty damn good at fixing the old bikeroo.

For buying parts..........as long as they're not fitting them then Craig MacMartin in Shawlands as they'll match chain reactions prices and over the west end of glasgow i have to say Gear of Glasgow in Gibson Street as Joe is a mate and service is spot on

cheers for the pointers guys ;) i'll be taking it slowly so i can do it the right way if i do go ahead with it :D

the price is 5k still and he has a fair bit of tools and stock that'll go with it too.......... still to find out about the length of the lease tho :?

is that the shop I brought to everyones attention as 'the macretro ganghut'?

I was getting fuel at the Shell station opposite the other night and saw a lad in there working on a bike :?

G

Enid_Puceflange":3jk77ikr said:

I was getting fuel at the Shell station opposite the other night and saw a lad in there working on a bike :?

G

aye thats the one ;) it's never closed....... i've been in it twice this week now :oops: mind you i'm working at the scottish parlament just now :LOL:

big.eck":27v352n8 said:
Enid_Puceflange":27v352n8 said:

G

aye thats the one ;) it's never closed....... i've been in it twice this week now :oops: mind you i'm working at the scottish parlament just now :LOL:

Ahhhhhh
I thought the lad had shut it then it was up for sale :roll:

What stuff does he have in there or is he just doing servicing & the likes?

G

he has loads of cheapo bikes , mostly big silly looking ones with huge stems and racing bike wheels :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

theres a no bad tool set too ;)

i would sell giant bikes (the make giant) because every second bike you see around edinburgh is a bloody giant :LOL: :LOL:

big.eck":8kxz5mhn said:
he has loads of cheapo bikes , mostly big silly looking ones with huge stems and racing bike wheels :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

theres a no bad tool set too ;)

i would sell giant bikes (the make giant) because every second bike you see around edinburgh is a bloody giant :LOL: :LOL:

What you want is to secure the rights to one brand , to be the only retailer of that brand in Edin & lothians ;)

Difficult but it gets you the monopoly :cool:

G

Back