Which way round do you have your brakes.

jonrock

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ive always had the rear brake on the lefthand lever...front on the right

Every bike Ive had from USA its the other way round??

Have I got it wrong?Although wouldnt be wise to change the setup now :LOL:
J

I thought it was continental (i.e. Europe, but not UK) that had it with rear on right, front on left. I have it rear on left and front on right...

I always thought UK (me as well) rear on left and front on right. Don't we have it that way

Don't know that there's specific differences between countries. All the places I've lived in have had them the same as I have them here in the UK. Differences may be down to the individual. Some people run them the other way round as they have a motorbiking background which uses one of the levers to operate the clutch. Therefore when they come into riding (human powered) they keep the front brake the way they had it on the motorbike.

i've always run mine the same as i run my crosser,been riding them since i was a kid,guess its just natural for me.always hda it that way,a few of my mated had theres different,never understood why?

:idea: Isn't it something to do with riding on the wrong side of the road(them on the continent not us ;) )Rear on left gives you the safest brake when making your most dangerous turn(right)whilst indicating and the other way on the other side of the channel. :?
My mountain bikes are front on right. The road bike is front on the left. This has never bothered me, but i can'y get my head round front on the left on my mountain bike, its just wrong :LOL:

BoyBurning":9id5bhl7 said:
Don't know that there's specific differences between countries. All the places I've lived in have had them the same as I have them here in the UK. Differences may be down to the individual. Some people run them the other way round as they have a motorbiking background which uses one of the levers to operate the clutch. Therefore when they come into riding (human powered) they keep the front brake the way they had it on the motorbike.

In Spain we use front left brake and right back brake, I´ve lived in Costa Rica and they have it the same as me, also in Argentina and I suppose all South América. I´ve also had a motorbiking background but I´ve got no problems when riding the motorbike or the bicycle even though the front brake is on a different lever. I suppose Australia and other british related countries also use front right brakes. There is a MTB holidays company here in Spain and as 99% of their clients are british they use front right brakes on their bikes.

It is the turning left/right thing. It gives you the weaker brake to use when signalling to cross the flow of traffic.

Sheldon Brown has some interesting views o why they're actually the wrong way round and the back brake is (on the road) the "dangerous" brake.

I don't know about you, but without closing my eyes and pretending I'm on a bike, I couldn't tell you which way round they are!

I did ride one the "wrong" way around once thinking I would remember. And didn't. Until my face hit the floor, that is ...

Back