front / rear brake which lever ?

pistolpedro

Old School Hero
Been searching but cant seem to find a definitive answer :?

Live in UK and bike is british

Is left lever (when sitting on bike) for rear brake or the other way round?

pete

Right hand = front brake
Left hand = rear brake

Legally new bikes have to be sold this way, although you're allowed to change it yourself.

In countries where they drive on the right, it's the other way around, which is why I flew off my mate's MTB in Poland last summer :shock:

I always have the front brake lever on the left, purely because the cable has a smoother bend and the two cables are more symmetrical where they cross over. This is with a brake like Campagnolo.

Re braking whilst signalling right (for turning right against oncoming traffic in the UK); I don't think it matters if it's the front or rear brake you use.

Thanks gents

The cable stop is on the right side of the brake (campagnolo) so i think it would be neater if the right did the front brake and the left did the rear

do you think it would look wrong this way?

pistolpedro":31apgxsb said:
Thanks gents

The cable stop is on the right side of the brake (campagnolo) so i think it would be neater if the right did the front brake and the left did the rear

do you think it would look wrong this way?
personally, yes, I think it looks wrong, for the reason that Fiks says.
But its what feels best for you. Is one hand stronger than the other? etc

My hybrid and off-road with straight bars use front/right but on my road bike, it's front/left.

This stems from my early racing days when this was the continental style and actually made changing down with downtube shifters and front wheel braking able to be done at the same time.

always front right for me. the other way seems madness. especially if your on a motorbike quite often.

Back