A light ride...

LoopyJuice

Dirt Disciple
So, I head out this afternoon for a light ride, a mile in and I happen to be on some tarmac going pretty slowly in a non-chain-stressing gear and suddenly BAM! the bike stops and i frantically scramble to not die on the way off!

After managing to pull off some ninja landing (and assessing my own damage from the chain etc hitting me in the back of the leg!) I assessed the damage on my new baby:

Snapped Chain x1
Snapped rear mech x1

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

This is on a 1994 Marin Team Titanium i've recently come into possession of and am about to start doing up properly, ah well, another item to the shopping list!

(Recommendations on a new rear derailleur/chain combo (8 speed) are welcome)

Hey that looks kinda nasty..
Cant say Ive seen that before?What if you'd been going down hill at high speed ouch. :shock:
Remember when i came off my MTB going down hill from work once.
Bag went in the front wheel...over the bars..
Broke my 'swatch' watch and ripped my puffa jacket..feathers everywhere! P*ssed off! :(
BTW Ive got a rear mech and 8 speed chain for sale if your interested?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11971

Cheers J

Yeah it would've been very nasty had I been going at some speed, the mech swung around and caught in the spokes/frame, thankfully without damage due to the slow speed!

It looks to me like some sort engineering fault to me because there is no way I should've snapped it with what I was doing, ifIi was really giving it some I could understand a bit better!

re: the rear mech/chain, I think i'm going to grab something not quite so similar to the Deore XT that I just destroyed :) thanks for the offer though!

Never snapped a rear mech before but I have had that 'Oh sh#t - whats happening' incident happen to me, thank god for replaceable hangers - in your case your lucky the mech snapped before the frame - imagine the horror kicking in at the roadside if that happened.

wanna buy an XT rear mech btw ;)

That is impressive! I've completely mangled a rear mech before - but not snapped one in half like that!

Not wanting to be funny, are you sure it didn't go in the rear wheel? The mech bolt looks like the hanger is bent, which would force the cage into the wheel and then snap the mech. Theres a few marks on the spokes as well. Shame though :(

It's possible I suppose but I checked the spokes and there's nothing bar some mud on them (probably what you can see in the pics) the bend could well have been put in when whatever it was snagged.

Can't help but noticing that there seems to be a lot of rust around the sprockets on the cassette and the bushings and pivots on the mech in those photos.

It's a shame though.

That rear mech is the first light action thing Shimano made, and it might have suffered from lack of use.

Back