TDF - Thoughts?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
What was it like then?

I didn't make it in the end, so any pics or impressions you lot got first hand would be a great addition to my otherwise DULL afternoon.

:D

It was great

Friday - well you know where I was - my photos are here http://www.londoncyclesport.com/news/ar ... 30/v/1/sp/

Thanks again for the opportunity Wu, the best bit was being backstage while all the teams were passing by and waiting for their presentation (I hardly knew any of them though - well apart from Cadel Evans :) )

Saturday - did a short version of my club's usual road route, then rode to London and left my and a mate's bike at work in Victoria then walked along the course to Westminster, while the first riders were shooting past. What really gave you an idea of the speed they were doing was the speed the team cars were taking those corners!

Had to queue to go over the bridge installed over Whitehall, then made it to the RICS bar where someone had arranged for my club to be allowed in for beers (mmm Belgian), screens with the race on, and sunshine on the roof terrasse. We ventured out to Green Park then back for last orders (bar closed at 5). Ended up outside a pub on Whitehall with friends, one suggested I could ride the course as he'd done it previously in France, I only went as far as Big Ben as they'd actually opened the roads again and there wasn't much point. Rode back home.

Sunday, we rode to a pub in the middle of nowhere (Brentley actually) that was prepared for the event - see photos below. We saw the crazy caravan chucking out washing powder samples to our faces, then the escape group fly past with almost 6" gap on the peloton. I didn't have any beer as I knew the ride back would be hard and fast. Bloody hell it was. Probably two of the strongest riders in my club (one wasn't content with doing 35 mph on a dual carriageway so he started chasing cars ...), another 3 very strong and me rode back 40 miles at full blast and I bonked badly on one of the last climb. Great day out though

etape05.jpg

etape04.jpg

etape07.jpg

Awesome stuff Sylvain, on Sunday you were about 1/2 mile from my house, i go to that pub quite often..

I went out on sunday for a ride with 2 mates to check out what was going on and then head back to watch with the family...Only we weren't allowed to cross the race route so we ended up having to do a 40 mile loop around maidstone to race back to brenchley about 30 seconds before the riders arrived....very nearly missed it all, as it was it was a good ride but not what we'd really planned on doing.

Small world Hilts! I bet there is some nice off-roading in that area.

The food in the pub was a bit over-priced I thought.

That's just British pub large white poncey food plate syndrome Sylvain. Paid £10 for what was basically three veg sausages and mash and about 12 peas on sat in a nice but costly country pub near me.

wish i'd bothered now, loks nice out there in kent for the race.

g;ad you made use of the op and enjoyed it.

:D

Watched the TDF in London on Saturday. Was good, really well attended. Had watched a prologue in Dunkirk (a sh*thole) a few years back. The stage on Saturday was far superior and must have had several times the crowds. Got a load of pics to sort and upload one year...

Sounds like you had a good time sylvain :D Didn't see you on TV though.

Got bad sun burn :cry: plus a photographer kept trying to take my picture :evil: plus met 'letmetalktomark' :D

Back