1984 Saracen 501

BlackSabbath005.jpg

Heavy ******* Metal :cool:

drystonepaul":5paau9db said:
BlackSabbath005.jpg

Heavy ******* Metal :cool:

No. I was talking about the frame. The Sabbath picture was just an accidental slip of the mouse.

Picking up on what GM said regarding a nod to the bike's true origins, and as a fellow early Saracen fan, have you considered having any decals made?
It'd look pretty cool with some of the original style Saracen graphics on it.

PS. Bring some Dead Rats stickers tomorrow. ;)

:oops: silly me, one glass of wine was all it took (on a school night too!)

yeah defo, I want the old skool Saracen logos on the downtube (need some for my Kili too). Just out of interest I asked Atlantic Boulevard about some (seeing as they're local and got recommended recently) but they'll only do them for frames they work on... I guess Gil m is the man to speak to? Seen his work elsewhere, looks great!

UPDATE

I had to postpone my visit to Macclesfield for a brew with drystonepaul and to drop off the frame and forks for powder-coating by one day to allow him to redecorate his kitchen :LOL: and I'm glad I did as the tyres arrived - so I got the chance to make sure the tyres are actually going to fit!

I'd checked on the Schwalbe website and widest crusier tyre is 60mm which would give me just enough clearance if I'd measured correctly. But seeing as I'd had problems with the front wheel alignment (one of the fork drop-out is further out than the other when you look down the fork using the canti bosses as a guide) I was nervous. Having had trouble seating other Schwalbe tyres before, I just put enough air in to check the seating and the tyres are looking pretty fat. Seating corrected no problem then they took ages to blow up to full pressure (max 60lbs) at which point they are even bigger... gulp!

Anyway, they are tight but they fit - JUST - they're not as close as that as I've sorted the front wheel alignment now to give a whole extra ~1mm!

27006_416396031170_586536170_5630846_7239962_n.jpg

That is tight, but will look sweet :cool:
Just pray the powder coat isn't very thick, you may loose that 1mm again :LOL:

Dead Rats":3u96al74 said:
I mentioned you in the what's next thread... I thought that - given the 'so hot right now' image of these builds at the mo - if I mentioned you again your head might swell too big to get under the barrier at the tip :LOL: fair do's though, the main source of inspiration WAS your Overburys / mystery 531 and - not forgetting the fact that Mr K was so kind as to donate the frameset to me - the other was this :shock: :cool: though not sure my bars are gonna go that way round and my saddle and grips are dark green!

I crave the glory!

Easy_Rider":1oa73flc said:
That is tight, but will look sweet :cool:
Just pray the powder coat isn't very thick, you may loose that 1mm again :LOL:

oh god! ah well, plan b is knobblies (narrower ones!)

need to track down some decals now...

should the as yet unmade Saracen downtube logos be gold (to pick out gold on the 501 decals) or silver (to match most of the components)? valve caps, crimps etc I have in gold, silver and green :roll:

Back