1994 Kona Lava Dome

19" Lava Dome

mattbrown":20u960ur said:
here is my one, now built up a 19", and just sold the 18"

Nice one Matt, it looks much the same as the other one... only larger!!
Are you happier with the size?

yeah, the size is good, about 12 years back i had a 19" klein, and have since been trying ot find a correct fitting hardtail, and this has felt the best yet, always wanted to try a correct fitting one since selling the 16" version in 1996 to get the klein cuz i need a better fitting bike and a workhorse. I have a 32" inside leg, and 5'11" height.

quick update

Just a quick update. I'm trying to resist the temptation to purchase everything i see thats green and blingy to keep this bike for becoming the Jimmy Saville of the bike world.
This is a really slow build as i have no time to spend on it at the moment. To keep my hands in, i've thrown it together for a picture to remind myself why i started it and to give me a boost of enthusiasm to carry on without spoiling it with all that is Green. I like the crank and don't think it's too much with the little green bolts.
The front end is from a 94 Explosif which was a darker green with grey forks and orange decals. Although slightly lighter, not too far away from the original grey of the lava dome forks.
I have curve cantis to go on and some high command levers, which i'm not keen on now, but from what i remember of my original one of these BITD they were ok. I can always change them if i need to later.

BTW, the wheels are temporary, They have polished up nice but need new cones and and bearings which is fine, but they don't match, which really bugs me now they are on the bike. i'm looking for a new matching pair to hold these great tyres. Love the tyres, IRC Mythos re-issues £13.50 the pair delivered! (thanks to cda for the tip-off).

As usual, any feedback welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_6077 copy.jpg
    IMG_6077 copy.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 6,238
It's hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh but I the paint doesn't look too bad?

Looks nice so far, should look great when finished fella. Certainly a bike i'd like one day.

yes sorry, look fresh, as the original bike had blackwall, mind you, i had skinwalls on my 16" one bitd, (memory is a bit hazy nowadays)

yup, lookin real good mayco!

i fear i may've gone a bit OTT with mine now.... but i love it!
where did you get the tyres from? wouldn't mind trying some skinwalls on mine....

IRC tyres

The tyres are IRC Mythos re-issue tyres which I bought from Bike Plus in Croydon. See below for the link. Cheep as, £10 for the pair.
I found a picture of my long lost/stolen Lava Dome that i'm subconsciously trying to recreate. It had a 'smoke' and 'dart' skinwalls, in fact i still have one tyre in the shed. It's slightly dry but good condition for the age. i'll dig it out but i'm happy with these re-issues.

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/

Thanks for the comments!

Back