frame id

oldschoolfool

Retro Guru
can anyone id this please
top tube is round in the middle but tapers and twists 90 degrees to the head tube and also to the seat tube as in the pics.
2010_0318allsorts0188.jpg

2010_0318allsorts0187.jpg

2010_0318allsorts0191.jpg

2010_0318allsorts0190.jpg

2010_0318allsorts0189.jpg

it also has mavic ma 2's,shimano exage brakes and a sugino 3 chainwheel crank
any ideas??

cheers bud :cool:
could the frame be any make then or can i narrow it down to a certain bike make.what about the forks would they be the same bike or are they some other make.just trying to get some idea thats all

I don't know a lot at all about road bikes.

Setup for Touring with the triple ?

Fork seem to match the bike really well, so would only guess they are original. May say something on the steerer tube.
Frame number may help others identify the bike.

I doubt it would be a generic frame with the tubing used.

In MTB terms (if you know much) that is the road equivalent of a mid to late 90's Kona Explosif frame (built from MAX OR).

The road bods may well know exactly what it is.

Definitely Columbus MAX tubing but could have been built by anyone of a number of good frame builders, especially one who was good at lugless construction which not all that many were. Early 90's date probably as this is when MAX was popular. Very nice frame.

Is there any indentification stamped under the bottom bracket?

Hmm, you've got a point there. I'd forgotten about the MAX specific forks etc. but the main tubes look MAX-like. Were there any other similar 'double' ovalised tubing sets?

The top tube doesn't look the same, the orange bike's when looking from the side is not a constant diameter where MAX is. Also it seems to have has sharpish corners along the tube, MAX has a smooth oval shape.

This is just from looking pictures, I've never seen a MAX frame in real life.

The frame looks to me like something a MTB manufacturer would make.

Back