Strongligt 80 query

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi there,

I''ve a Stronglight 80 chainset (double) (NOS) that I'd like to put on my bike. I'm struggling to identify what size & type bottom bracket I need for it.

I'd like to fit a lightweight and good quality BB; I contacted Spa Cycles, but even they were uncertain as to what would be best. I was told that I could fit ISO or JIS. I'd don't mind forking out for a good unit - I just want to buy the right one. Some websites say that a Stronglight 80 requires a 113mm BB, others say 118mm; can anyone of the experts out there provide a definitive answer ?

A link to where I good buy one would be much appreciated. Or does anyone have one to sell ?

Ta v. much !

Hi

Bought a 119mm Stronglight bottom bracket from Spa Cycles for my Stronglight 80 double chainset with a Suntour Ultra 6 speed freewheel.

The chainline seems good with all sprocket combinations apart from small chainwheel to small sprocket, where the chain rubs slightly on the large chainring.

This maybe because I'm running 52/36 chainrings or using a 6 speed Suntour Ultra freewheel in a 120 OLD frame spacing.

I think if you use a narrower bottom bracket i.e. 113 you could have chain rub problems.

TheElectronKid":2qdca32y said:
Hi

Bought a 119mm Stronglight bottom bracket from Spa Cycles for my Stronglight 80 double chainset with a Suntour Ultra 6 speed freewheel.

The chainline seems good with all sprocket combinations apart from small chainwheel to small sprocket, where the chain rubs slightly on the large chainring.

This maybe because I'm running 52/36 chainrings or using a 6 speed Suntour Ultra freewheel in a 120 OLD frame spacing.

I think if you use a narrower bottom bracket i.e. 113 you could have chain rub problems.

STAR MAN !!!

At long last, I've found the answer that I need !!

Thank you very much.

What range do you have at the rear on the Suntour ?

Final question - is there a choice of BBs available in that size (due to better quality) or do they just have the one that'll do ?

TA v. much,

Andy

Hi Andy

Pleased to know that my experience has helped someone else sort out they're own problems.

The Stronglight bottom bracket size was something I did a fair bit of research on and came up with the same internet results as you, i.e. 118mm old style or 113mm modern.

A mechanic at Spa Cycles said the 119mm bottom bracket would be fine with a Stronglight 80 double chainset so I went with that one.

I bought the aluminium version for £14-15.

After fitting the bottom bracket and getting chain rub I Did think about possibly going to a 122mm size to try and cure chain rub on the small chainring - small rear cog combination, but reckoned it would probably give problems on the other side of the freewheel.

Currently running a 14 - 28 Suntour Ultra 6 speed freewheel with a Suntour medium cage VX rear mech

Good luck on your build

Marcus

TheElectronKid":1lmar3lv said:
Hi Andy

Pleased to know that my experience has helped someone else sort out they're own problems.

The Stronglight bottom bracket size was something I did a fair bit of research on and came up with the same internet results as you, i.e. 118mm old style or 113mm modern.

A mechanic at Spa Cycles said the 119mm bottom bracket would be fine with a Stronglight 80 double chainset so I went with that one.
Marcus

Thank you for such a great reply.

Since I'll be putting the bottom bracket in a steel frame, wouldn't it be advisable for me to use one which is steel, rather than aluminium ?

Back