Retro or classic

BOSS":3vvlz022 said:
Elev12k":3vvlz022 said:
On my 1988 Koga I miss the modern feature HG. All my other bikes are modern. Most later innovations I consider abundant or a mistake.

- Melvin

Right but you're not normal ;)

dussssss©

I know :D

scant":1244nc6h said:
yeh, but whats normal anymore? spending vast sums building 12year old bikes?

Fortunately I always avoided that. Hope to finish my e-stay Panasonic for way under e200. Most NOS and according to my specs ...and I can already unveil it becomes a damn Cool bike! Got my Yo for $720. It is mint. Always found a way to acquire a Miyata at a bargain. For me the economical aspect is part of the fun ...but Boss is right; I am not normal ;)

BOSS":17rapciq said:
Why are old bikes called retrobikes?
Retro is, in my opinion, something new wich has influences of something old(er).

So is "Classic bike" not a better name for an old bike?

What do you think?

dusssss©

Boss is right. The dictionary defines retro as

the dictionary":17rapciq said:
Main Entry: ret·ro
Pronunciation: 're-(")trO
Function: adjective
Etymology: French rétro, short for rétrospectif retrospective
: relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned <a retro look>

That said the name retro seems to be commonly used for vintage/classic/old bikes. I thought retrobike sounded cooler than classicbike or vintagebike or even oldbike so that is pretty much that :D

suits me fine

Not that it really matters, but from my collection I guess the 1878 penny and 1903 racer would be veteran, 1939 lightweight up to the '72 Speedwell could be classic, but both retro and classic seem to suit the Evans and Breezer pretty well.

Anyway, retrobike definately sounds cool!

In the old car world a classic in used to mean "in some way good" not just old. So a £89 supermarket bike could never be a classic just because its from 1990. But could it be retro or old school? I think yes.

Back