the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, ok maybe Kaiser's Kuwahara, but that's as far as I'd go. Not even on road bikes. Yes you heard me. :shock:

as you were. carry on.

legrandefromage":1m4mbwe6 said:
and I dont see flared drops here:

John T is not really going to help the road bar argument as he was using custom drawn Cinelli bars to replicate his road position - something which he later complained about and discounted as a viable option. He was also a pro racer who was able to replace his parts as often as we change our socks so fatigue wasn't an issue.

Similarly I don't think that CX is as hard on parts as MTB as there is a greater reliance on carrying the bike rather than riding over the hard parts and courses are far smoother, hence the narrow wheels, lightweight frames and single front chainrings.
Because of this they can get away with shorter bars as control is less essential than MTB. CXers also often use bar top brake levers due to the fact that braking on hoods is not efficient and riding on the drops is so hard when you're stretched out going downhill.

Not saying that you shouldn't use them if you want to, just that I wouldn't as I like wide, strong bars and I would recommend that to anyone who asks!

Must confess unless its a CX, Road or Tourer I dont think drop bars look right. For me its aesthetics as proportionally drops look good with large diameter slim tyred wheels and not with fat balloon type tyres. Mind you mtb's with drops is much preferable to small wheeled bikes with drops such as Moultons etc.

velomaniac":3j74aeql said:
Mind you mtb's with drops is much preferable to small wheeled bikes with drops such as Moultons etc.

..or my favourite - the racing tricycle!

holdsworth_trike3.jpg

If you do dont fit drops, it'd look stoopid :LOL:

Having lit the touch paper and retired, Velo muses on the almost certainty of LGF trying to fit his Moulton with drops, another thread in development perhaps :LOL:

velomaniac":2iwbbsze said:
If you do dont fit drops, it'd look stoopid :LOL:

Having lit the touch paper and retired, Velo muses on the almost certainty of LGF trying to fit his Moulton with drops, another thread in development perhaps :LOL:

just for you.

Attachments

• velomaniac's favourite bicycle.jpg
    velomaniac's favourite bicycle.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 3,192
UUUURRRRRRGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats not right, your sick man, you need professional help :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll have nightmare for weeks :(

They're coming to take him away ha ha hee hee..................... :roll:

Here's the 'Hamdale' project in progress - the loose thinking was to find a frame that has a high/long head tube in order to get the drop position in a more natural, raised state (when compared to my first attempt cf. Overbury's - where I had to run the quill in a very extended state). When I see pictures of the real deal Cunninghams I see the sort of geometry that favours drops - long head tube/sloping top tubes.

The other benefits of going with a 1984-90 Cannondale are super light weight, nicely welded frame, and, most importantly, funky retro graphics! I have the correct fork, but cannot justify the cost of extending the steerer until I have ridden (and liked) it...

Hoping to fit Kelly Take-Offs and lime green bar tape to complete.

Mr K

Attachments

• Hamdale Dropped.JPG
    Hamdale Dropped.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,129
Back