What to do with a nice but busted up steel frame?

What to do with a nice but busted up steel frame?

• Keep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Repair

• Sell

• Total voters

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I have this old merckx corsa extra in motorola colours.

Sadly a drunk driver (taking his kids swimming naturally) managed to make the bike look like this.

main.php

It's seen better days.

Had it chucked it the darkest depths of the garage as some sort of reminder of a lucky(ish) escape. Occasionally wonder if I should do something with it, thought a poll might help me decide ;)

Should I keep it as is?

Or should I get it reapired. Think I'd get away with just top and down tube and some forks, the back end survived?

Final option is to sell it. Probably a touch small for me to be honest. Doubt anyone would buy it though...

Mark_h4dng":1k3eplzq said:
I'd sell of the parts that are still safe, and hang the frame as wall art as a reminder of the lucky escape.

The frame was stripped years ago...

i like the idea of repairing it but only if the repair will be safe, not that i doubt any builder you should choose, i just mean IF IT IS repairable.

that is also assuming that the cost isn't prohibitive including a respray as original.

i love the older merckx frames, and that motorola paint job is my favourite.

:)

actually i have just thought of another option bearing in mind you say it is a little small,

get a quote for repair and respray then decide whether to sell it based on the repair cost, you could then offer it for sale as a project with an estimated cost of the repair.

Looks like a typical 531db crash. The forks survive, the frame dies...would be better the other way round :?

If the bike has sentimental value (loads of miles, happy days) then repair. Otherwise, like old battleships, it's time for the scrap man.

I met a retired Admiral once who expressed the view that old battleships should have the dignity of being scrapped rather than an idle retirement.

Sell it. Someone will buy it, for instance I bought the DeKerf that was busted with the hope of resurrecting it myself. This looks like a similar project.

what size is it?

It's repairable but you're unlikely to get your money back - would be about £220 for the tube replacement (Argos) and then the same again for a respray - and probably another £50 for a fork.

Back