the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

drystonepaul":1mb2ax7i said:
As a coincidence to this thread I'd been looking at flared drops for while.
What is the preferred option. I've looked at WTB Mountain Road Bars and On-One Midge Bars.
Anything else I should be considering?

The ones on mine are the bizarrely named origin8 'gary'

kaiser":1ompczrd said:
drystonepaul":1ompczrd said:
As a coincidence to this thread I'd been looking at flared drops for while.
What is the preferred option. I've looked at WTB Mountain Road Bars and On-One Midge Bars.
Anything else I should be considering?

The ones on mine are the bizarrely named origin8 'gary'

And Salsa have a new bar, the woodchipper.

Flared bars give much more control off road and provide a more 'natural' hand position, I tend to ride my drop-bar mtb on the hoods all the time (it's mainly used as a commuter/trailer puller) because it has road-drops, not dirt-drops. For reasons I would think are fairly obvious riding 'real' trails with your hands on the hoods is a no-no so the flared drops give you a comfortable and safe alternative.

pete_mcc":2spgrfsw said:
legrandefromage":2spgrfsw said:
I cant see how theres much diference off-road to yanking hard on the bars whilst trying to climb a big French hill.

Personally I prefer parts that were designed for the purpose and off road is tougher on parts and bits have to be made stronger to cope, that's why you'll never see a downhill championship being won on a steel colnago road bike with 19mm tyres. Added to that you don't get decent control with a narrow set of road bars or the ability to really lever on tough granny ring climbs

CX bikes have been around a lot longer than MTB and used standard road parts for XC racing just as tough as any MTB XC race (I'm talking pre-MTB history here).

and I dont see flared drops here:

tomac-dropsws.jpg

:cool: ;)

Mine - currently working on a dropped 1990 Cannondale with Kelly Take-offs...

Mr K

Attachments

• Overburys Pioneer 2010 spec.jpg
    Overburys Pioneer 2010 spec.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4,103
went for a rummage around the back shop at lbs
found a pair of massi drops and a trials stem
so its game on over the next few days

Back