The makings of Project 'Sterile Bike'...

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently procured this from 'Lid'...
funk.jpg

... which will be polished to within an inch of it's life, re-decalled & clear coated.

I was thinking of an 'all polished' M900 build, devoid of any anodizing what-so-ever. I've got a full M900 groupo with an M902 headset, polished Hyperlites, a polished Nitto 65 pillar, polished Vantage Comp rims on M900 hubs... You get the picture. The only think Iwas missing was a 1 1/4" threaded fork that would look the part on the build. I bid on the Funk fork that recently sold in Germany (thanks again for the offer of help Andrea) but it went way beyond where I was prepared to go! I was starting to feel a bit dejected when all of a sudden, BAM!

I called around a few mates who own long-standing bike shops in the hope of finding something that would suit the build. I knew it was a long shot and wasn't surprised when a few of my aforementioned 'mates' laughed so hard they dropped their phones but to my amazement, me ol' Mate DC fromthe Fitzroy Revolution comes up with this!
funkfork.jpg

The bloody thing is so perfect for the build that I won't even have to cut down the steerer!

All I need now is a quilled 1 1/4" ATAC stem with a cable hanger in 120mm, low rise. Surely not too much to ask... :roll:

Oh, yeah, and I got the fork for free!

There are no 1-1/4 A-tacs in 120 mm in low rise, only hi rise.

You should asked me, I have had an alu 1-1/4 fork in the attic for 6 months (Kinesis I think) :)

skinnyboy":3lhrkjj5 said:
is this Fitzroys in Carnegie? Can I name drop you for a discount haha

Nah mate, Fitzroy Revolution in Fitzroy. I think you'd get extra on the bill if you mentioned my name... :)

I started the polishing job last night...

Hey Az, theres a guy in Oakleigh I use for polishing he's pretty cheap and will save you the arm muscle. I've decided to get the 'Lex polished, and will be sending it over to his this week.

skinnyboy":3i92ark6 said:
Hey Az, theres a guy in Oakleigh I use for polishing he's pretty cheap and will save you the arm muscle. I've decided to get the 'Lex polished, and will be sending it over to his this week.

Bugger! I'm already done... but i'm sure it could be done better...

Does he finish with a clear coat?

no, but i would suggest you get it clear anodised or clear powdercoated. You can get a kit, i bought it once but was a bit put off at the application so set it back, that you brush on which apparently flows seamlessly onto polished metal including aluminium. I know a lot of the chopper and Harley blkes use it, as it was recommended to me by a bikey lol.

the stuff is called POR15 Glisten. I bought the kit from Bodyshop Supplies in Richmond, it costs about 60 bucks but comes with everything including the clearcoat, hardener and brushes, and the precoat AP120 prep as well.

http://www.ppcco.com.au/topcoat_glistenpc.htm

http://www.ppcco.com.au/fact_sheets/pi/pi_glistenpc.pdf

GLISTEN PC is a High Gloss, Rock Hard, Water-clear topcoat designed for spray or brush application over all metal surfaces, including highly polished aluminium and chrome surfaces. GLISTEN PC will not leave brushmarks, and will dry in less than one hour, but will take 3-4 days to reach maximum hardness. When GLISTEN PC is first dry to the touch, it will appear to be very soft. Avoid touching it for several days until it becomes hard and tough. Accidental contact could damage the surface before full cure has taken place. Like many other coatings, GLISTEN PC is a MOISTURE-CURED coating, which means it is strengthened by exposure to moisture. It will never crack, chip, peel, or yellow, and is very flexible as well. Note: When applying over polished metals (aluminium, chrome, brass, copper etc) you must use AP120 metal prep according to instructions

Latest posts

Back