Getting back in the saddle of my B17 - New photos

Sorry to jump into this topic but my question seemed relivent on the B17 topic.

I've been getting back into MTBing and bought an old B17 (Red & White) with a shockworks rear shock which I either need to replace or upgrade the spring (keep bottoming it out), has anyone upgraded these if so what with and where from? Is the rear shock mounting on the B17 standard will any other rear shock with the same length and stroke be ok?

Cheers

Dan

I'm probably going to be in the same situation. I did a little bit of research and I've seen that people have swapped their shocks for a couple of other models. Fox, and another one that escapes me at the moment.

Mine seems to have gone a bit solid after it's time in the shed so I'll be looking soon. What is the length and stroke of the shock?

I have started the assembling of pieces for my steed. I won a set of Azonic bars off of ebay for the princely sum of £1.04 (puls £4p+p).

I've got my eye on some classic blue porcipaws to finish it off.

I will desperately need some new shifters too, I've currently got some very broken Gripshit Plasma's that need chucking.

hi mate glad to here you are getting back into the sport,and welcome to the site.be warned retro bike can seriously damage your wallet :D

so does this mean your keeping the marin now ? i'm in the same boat wiht the rear shock , i just replaced the spring for a 500lb one and it's a little better :roll: i do have an air shock but i'll need to buy a pump for it first :oops:

:D :D :D

Finally got to spend some time with the B17 over the long weekend. Gave her a bit more of a clean, got some air back in the tyres, unseized the brakes, swapped the stem for the original Marin one, swapped the bars for my bargain £5 Azonics...

I also managed to finally rip apart and completely destroy my left shifter.

Now with properly filled tyres I've been able to give the rear shock a bit more of a bounce, and I think it's probably in better nick than I thought. Certainly with a bit of fiddling with the rebound and pre tensioning it seems to get a bit better.

Anyway here's a few pics...

Sill looks good...
img3477k.jpg

Think I'll invest in some blue Porcipaws...
img3456rq.jpg

Trying to capture that lovely pearlescent finish...
img3459q.jpg

The (very) busted shifter...
img3457.jpg

STX RC... I'd like to replace these for some Race Face at some point. In blue. Obviously.
img3465g.jpg

Here's the 24Seven bar stem combo I replaced. That's some seriously solid steel. Massively wide and uncut... would probably survive a nuclear attack... and they weight like it.
img3471g.jpg

I also found the original IRC Mythos XCs that came with her stock. I barely used them because they were a bit narrow. An odd choice by Marin for such a bike really. They are kevlar folding jobbies, I might sell on in the future if anyone is interested.

Back