Dave Yates.

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
I know there's Argos, but has anyone any experience with Dave Yates and resprays? His prices seem much more reasonable than the big 'A' and the job equally as thorough... Recieved a quote for respraying the Avalanche f&f and it was outrageous - they seemed to add a charge for every bit they could think of a word / process for...

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/index.html

Brilliant - can say any more than that! He took my old Fat Chance Forks, rebuilt them with a new ahead steerer and resprayed in the deepest 'vicars socks' black all for a half of what argos were asking. The job was superb and the paint is still strong and unchipped 2 years later. I say go, go ,go!

Just don't go anywhere near M Steel. Did a right bodge it a scarper job on my Dawes.

I used Bob Jacksons for the first time recently, seams Ok although the bike has not been rebuilt yet but his price was spot on.

Alison

Cheers peeps! Pete, do you know where he stands with decals - can he make them / get them made up too if needed?

I got my diablo 731 special (which I've had since '92) back from Dave a few weeks ago. He'd had to put a new seat tube in as the old one had rusted badly (my fault not his). I went for a knobs-and-whistles pearlescent and the full decal renovation. Beautiful job. Looks like new. When my camera comes out of a removal box I'll post it here. That renovation cost me a couple of hundred quid including freight to Denmark.

It was the frame I raced on for 6 years and I would have hated to see it go. I rode on it against Steve Peat (when he was riding XC in sport class!), and even Henrik Djernis and Michael Rasmussen because of a quirky mid-90s licence rule in Danish MTB-ing.

I even rode the Danish Nationals on it 2 summers ago. And it turned heads big-time, despite it looking a bit tatty.

Dave's work is amazing - had a bike resprayed by him about 10 years ago and the paint work is still in top condition.

He's also a great guy - lent me his Diablo demonstator at the Middlesboro NEMBA years and years ago when I trashed my XC bike pre-riding the course. Never had the cash at the time to buy one but would still love one.

Does he still do those frame building courses? Would definitely be up for going and building one and being taught by him.

^^^

Interesting you mention that as that as it was how i found out about the re-spraying! One place left due to a cancellation... I was thinking of planning finances for a 2009 frame build - if he's still going!

Anyone know about Dave making up decals?

Don't know about decals, I sent him my own but most of these guys have access to the catalogues of decals that can be bought so give him a try!

BoyBurning":2wnezrtf said:
^^^

Interesting you mention that as that as it was how i found out about the re-spraying! One place left due to a cancellation... I was thinking of planning finances for a 2009 frame build - if he's still going!

Anyone know about Dave making up decals?

Ive been thinking of doing exactly the same, perhaps a retro bike build session :p

Alison, Matt Steels is Dave Yates, it's one and the same.

Steels is the shop and Daves is the production side,

Latest posts

Back