WTD: VERY old kit, for Hetchins restoration - wheels/rims

Mowgli

Old School Hero
Hi
I am looking for a set of wheels to suit a 1946 Hetchins Super Special. The size needed is 26" x 1-1/4", or in metric, 597mm x 32mm. Quite rare, it seems! Plenty of people still making tyres, but getting decent rims is proving very tricky. It was a fast, light bike so I don't really want to move to 26 x 1-3/8 unless I absolutely can't get 1-1/4.

I'd also be very interested in any other period kit which might suit this bike. NOS preferred, but that might be asking a bit much!

Many thanks

Gareth

Modern 650b rims might be worth thinking about; 650b are 584 ETRTO if I remember right. That would be close-ish in radius (7mm) so your brakes might just fit.

Most frames of that era where made to take Sprints without mudguards.
You cycled to the start of the race/time trial with your racing wheels on sprint carriers,took of your everyday wheels,mudguards saddle bag
Raced and then put it all back together to cycle home.
Anyway long story short it should take sprints.
I have pm'ed regarding some 26" Conloys I have.
Sounds a lovely bike, I am guessing you have already found
http://www.hetchins.org/
Good Luck

You might struggle to find the correct tyres for 26in wheels. They are not the same as MTB 26in tyred. Schalbe was one of the last to make them but production ceased a while back.

Sprints may well be a better option.

Good luck with the build - and please show us some pictures when it's done!

I have two pairs of 26x1 1/4 wheels.

1. A Sturmey FM rear (1948 from its shell) and the front is a Sturmey Dynohub. They've got Dunlop stainless rims and good (original) tyres. Everything works, they were in use until quite recently.

£65 for these, they're rare and old.

A pair of Sturmey large flange hubs with Dunlop rims also in 26 x 1 1/4. The rear is built for a 4 speed freewheel. These are from the sixties, but they're enough to get your bike going. Continental spoking.

£35 for these, or £45 with a pair of brand new 26 x 1 1/4 tyres.

garethuglow":lunma5v7 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. By 'Sprints', do you means something like this: Mavic CX18 CD 26 Inch Dark Grey Anodised Alloy Sprint Rim 32 Hole? Is that equivelant to 650C, as it says 650C in the description...

Wow this is complicated.

I'm quite keen to get skinny rims, if possible. I'll look into 650b and see if I can test one for fit.

Cheers

Gareth

Yep, those are sprint rims, but you would want a natural aluminium finish for your bike and Conloys would be in period. Or perhaps Fiamme. Fit some amber-wall tubulars and you're done.

If you don't want to use sprints, 700c clincher rims would fit as these are roughly the same size and easily found with a narrow rim. Not original of course, but cheap and readily available. Only issue is that older style hubs were usually drilled 32 front/40 rear so you would need to find rims to suit.

Your best bet for period wheels is to go along to a cycle jumble. There's a V-CC jumble at Ripley on 10th April.

Hi,
No don't go near 26inch sprints, are you sure it is built for 26" wheels? It is possible it was built for 27" try some for clearence.Modern sprints(700c) should fit without mudguards. Or even Clinchers in 700c are still availlable in 32/40 drilling. Don’t get confused you are looking for 26x1 1/4 tyres not 26x1.25 they aren't the same.
Here is a good guide to differing wheel sizes
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Are you after a period correct bike? Very expensive,especailly with a Hetchins which would have been kitted out with top end stuff.which is now 60 plus years old.
The wheels Chris has sound a bargain especially if it is an alloy shell Sturmey.
If you just want a bike you can ride it will be much easier and cheaper.
If you think the wheels are hard to find wait untill you start looking for a head clip.
Bakers Bikes in Bishops Stortford (Abel Baker Cycles Ltd 01279 658991 )
will be able to help with some bits, Join the VCC and get to one of the big cycle jumbles VERY early to beat the dealers.
Good luck with it and have a look here for inspiration
http://www.hetchins.org/
Before and after pics are always nice ;)

Back