AlpineStars Cro-Mega

alpiner

Retro Newbie
Hey guys.
First post: I joined MTBR forums around 5years ag oand got soem background info from various people but nothing in the way or what I've found on here over the last couple of days.

Here's my bike. It was 2nd hand and the frame had been resprayed due to it being a stolen-recovered one, so had no indication of what bike model actually was. The AlpineStars USA logo is stamped on the frame where the rear spindle sits so I knew the manufacturer but no idea on model. MTBR helped on that and was determined to be a Cro-Mega.

I used to ride it almost everyday before I got a car, but nothing really serious: racing-wise, and has been relatively unused for the last 5 or 6 years now. It is still in good condition tho. Pics are below.

Here's the spec of it, pretty much original from what I have found via info from other people and from browsing the topics on here.

AlpineStars 21 speed mountain bike.
> Accu-trax straight front forks.
> zoom lightweight seat post.
> Kona Avocet gel seat.
> Alpinestars mega-lite handlebars.
> John Tomac grips.
> Shimano short reach brake levers.
> Shimano Deore XT sis gear levers.
> Shimano brake set & blocks.
> Shimano narrow chain.
> Shimano Exage 500LX front gears.
> Shimano Exage 500LX front derailleur.
> Shimano 7 speed rear block.
> Shimano Exage 500LX rear derailleur.
> Ritchey Vantage Sport rims.
> AlpineStars 26" x 2.1" tyres.
> Quick release seat post pin.
> Quick release front & rear skewers.

That is how it was when I bought it, and the only things changed have been a pair of new tyres, new spokes and a set of V brakes.

As it was when I bought it:
a33f860a.jpg

As it is now:
f0bced07.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't brilliantly clear, but they are a photo of a photo.

sinnett177 has given me some info and I've seen this topic which looks the same model and spec as mine, http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87451
so may be tapping Steve up for more info and keeping an eye on the topic/s as I fancy having it back in the original colour scheme.

Thanks.

someone say Alpinestars???? :cool: :shock: :) :LOL: :roll:

Yeah she's a 92 and if she's heavy she'll be Cro-Mega, and if she's cracked she'll be Al-Mega :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Looking good in yellow, with the grey tyres :cool:
Black Seatpost might look even better, but that's my own personal taste.

Welcome to the forum, and it's always good to have another A-star fan (or freak :LOL: ) on board

Steve

Thanks Steve.
Yes, quite heavy and not cracked so pretty certain it's the Cro version.

I decided on yellow to make the frame stand out, seeing how different the style is from most other bikes, especially around the time I bought it.
Rear tyre needs replacing and if I restore it I will go back to the white frame with black tyres, plus black stem, seat post etc. :D

Are you rebuilding your white one?

The white one in the link above is one I bought for the missus, and is in surprisingly good condition for the age, so we're planning on keeping it as-is, at the moment.

Looking at your forks, I'm inclined to think that they're just 'factory' Alpinestars items - AccuTrax have dropouts that sit forward, and down at an angle. Have a look at Sinnett's Project EOS (not the Ti one) and you'll see pics of what I'm trying to say.... :)

I happen to think it looks really good in yellow, a couple of identifying Alpinestars decals will really bring it to life.

If I can help with any aspect of your rebuild, give me a shout ;) :)

Steve

Think Steve is right, they are standard alpinestars forks and not Accu-trax i'm afraid. Its a nice looking cro-mega you have there, as Steve says a few astars decals and it will look great.

Seem to remember you posted this bike up a few years back, either that i've seen it on mtbr or somewhere.

looks good
as sinnet says get some astars decals on it

not seen one in yellow before

You got attention from two Grandmasta of Alpinestars dude...
Can't wait the transformation :D :D
The magic will be happen.....

Cheers

GT-Steve":pnjl14pl said:
Looking at your forks, I'm inclined to think that they're just 'factory' Alpinestars items - AccuTrax have dropouts that sit forward, and down at an angle. Have a look at Sinnett's Project EOS (not the Ti one) and you'll see pics of what I'm trying to say.... :)

Ok, I can see the difference now.
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... me0057.jpg
Thanks.

The frame needs re-painting either way as some idiot knocked it over ages back and a chunk of paint came off :evil: but as it hasn't been used in so long then I haven't had it sorted yet. It may not get rebuilt, but I'm pleased there's some more info out there and seeing people's own bikes and restorations may give me the incentive and inspiration to get it done.
I have a better starting point now I have seen other examples. :D

sinnett177":pnjl14pl said:
Seem to remember you posted this bike up a few years back, either that i've seen it on mtbr or somewhere.

Thanks. :)
Yes, I posted on mtbr back in 05. It hasn't done much since then but I have kept the tyres inflated. :oops:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=875701

Thanks for the further replies also. :D
I will keep everyone informed if/ when anything happens.

Nice to see another one around. Nice group we have building on here.

Looking forward to seeing more photos :D

Nice Alpinestars you have there mate :cool:

I agree that it needs a few decals though, try a Pm to Gil_m he may have something for you ;)

Back