1997/98/2000+ Sunn Xircuit Un

Rumble

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Not one for the purists but it's my first retro build and if it's not fully retro then it's certainly retro-inspired. Got the frame, forks, wheels and a few other bits from here, some from ebay, some lying around and the modern stuff was all CRC bargains. Pride of place goes to the 1997 STX rear mech that came stock on my GT Timberline and has sat unused for about 12 years!

Still have a couple of tweaks to do (brakes mainly, it's been a long time since I set up anything with cables!), and not ridden her yet but after a long time imagining what it's going to look like it's nice to see it in the flesh.

SNV30196.jpg

SNV30199.jpg

Frame: 1999 Sunn Xircuit Un

Fork: 2000 Marzocchi Bomber Z4 Flylight Air

Headset: Cane Creek S8 (modern)
Stem: NOS Kore Lite
Handlebar: Kore (modern)
Grips: Yeti Speedgrips
Barends: Tioga powerstuds (modern)

Brakes: Fr. Avid Arch Rival/Rr STX RC V Brake
Brake Levers: Shimano XT

Shifters: FR Shimano XT (STI)/Rr Shimano STX (?)
Front Derailleur: 1998 (?) LX
Rear Derailleur: 1997 STX
Cassette: SRAM something (spares box)
Chain: KMC Z50
Cranks: NOS STX RC
Crank Bolts: Brand-X
Chainrings: NOS STX-RC
Bottom Bracket: Raceface something (came with frame)
Pedals: TBA

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Mavic X517 citron
Hubs: XT
Tyres: Onza Porcupine
Tubes: ? (spares box)

Saddle: San Marco Blaze (modern)
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost binder: ?

as a matter of priority , get a new stem , not yellow .

how does it ride ?

Great frame although if you do ride with the seat post that low, it's about 2 sizes too big for you ? Steering with the long stem must be pretty weird too.

I've not ridden it yet so the saddle isn't at the right height - just wanted to take some pics yesterday before the light went.

I'm more concerned by the length of the stem than the colour (not too fussed about coordinating anyway), but the build was done on a budget, I didn't have a suitable spare and got this one for pennies from ebay - so it stays for a couple of rides at least!

Haven't done an update on this one for a while - it got a lot of riding last year though. It must be summer again because I try and only ride this in fair weather and I was out on it today!

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

The 517/XT wheels have been earmarked for something else so I've swapped in a set of Mavic Crossrides, also a new Kore stem and another Arch Rival on the rear.

Back