Marin 1986/87? Palisades Trail

domwelduk

Dirt Disciple
This is my first attempt - go easy on me !

Bought this a few weeks ago of the bay - dismantled and cleaned everything. Some decals covered in red nail varnish (?!) and managed to survive and some weren't as lucky (covered them over with a retrobike sticker!).

Exage trail groupset seems all original and cleaned up nice.

My LBS helped re-assemble, new cables bearings etc and general advice (cheers Barry at Firth cycles). Still more work required on rims and original Marin tyres (any advice on how to spruce up amber walls appreciated).

Took her out this morning and got filthy - nice relaxed angles make for comfy ride, biopace chainrings felt weird all over again and u-brake managed to stop me (eventually).

Any info would be appreciated and I will post more pics if anyone interested.

Marin1.jpg

Nice Marin, very retro :). I'd try scrubbing the tyres with some washing up liquid and hot water. Should do the job as well as anything else I reckon.

A pal of mine had one of these (around 20 years ago) - we called it the "Flying Armchair" it was so comfortable to ride.

Great bike!

Looks nice, you don't see many very early Marins. I like that the graphics are small and understated.

Nice bike-any idea what the serial number is? I have an '87, I'd be interested in comparing, mine is A870691932. My decals are mostly shot, maybe I'll have some made up that say 'Flying Armchair'.....

saltyman":1mbx0tqx said:
:cool: nice and simple, i like it.

thanks - i'll probably keep it as it is as i can't think of any upgrades that will improve the look or feel of it. Maybe i'll just have to ride it!

Back